What are acidity and gas?
Acidity and gas is a medical condition that is caused by excessive production of acid in the digestive tract. The acid is produced by the glands of the stomach. Acidity causes signs such as ulcers in the stomach, gastric inflammation, heartburn, and dyspepsia.
It is usually caused due to several factors such as irregular eating patterns, lack of physical sports or activities, alcohol consumption, smoking, stress, fad diets, and poor eating habits. People are more prone to develop acidity in a place where they consume more non-veg and spicy foods and oily foods.
What causes acidity?
Our stomach usually produces gastric acids which help indigestion. The corrosive effects of these acids are balanced by prostaglandins and bicarbonates which are secreted by the mucous lining. This damages the stomach lining and causes acidity
Other factors causing acidity are :
- Consuming non-veg food
- Spicy food
- Consuming too much alcohol
- Stomach disorders such as stomach tumors GERD
What are the early symptoms of acidity?
Heartburn: A burning pain or discomfort that moves from the stomach to the abdomen, chest, and even to the throat.
Regurgitation: A bitter or sour-tasting acid will back into the throat or mouth and eventually makes a sore in the mouth
- Too much gas or flatulence can cause stomach bloating.
- Bloody stools with rectal pain.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Feeling of fullness.
- Persistent dry cough.
- Continuous hiccups.
Common signs and symptoms of acidity include :
- Sour taste in the mouth
- Burning sensation
Symptoms of the bloated stomach
There may be extra fuel within the abdomen. The abdomen (or intestines) appears to be too full. Causes of acidity
Regularly, the stomach keeps acid in our stomach, In any case, if you have a hiatal hernia, Acid can climb into your throat and cause side effects of heartburn malady These are other regular hazard elements for heartburn illness:
Eating large meals or resting directly after a dinner Acidity also known as heartburn is caused due to excessive acid build-up.
When you have a burning sensation in your chest accompanied by a sore throat and sour taste in the mouth, you may be suffering from acidity or acid reflux. In our stomach, some acids help break down food during digestion.
Sometimes the gastric glands produce excess acids and this results in a burning sensation. If you smoke a lot or consume alcohol, you will be easily affected by acidity.
The other common reasons are erratic eating times and consumption of spicy and fried foods. But do not worry there are few simple home remedies to cure acidity. Make sure you stop eating spicy, and fried foods take to eat more organic, and vegetables and avoid processed foods.
the stomach is sterile due to the acid set. However, when it doesn’t include sufficient hydrochloric acid microorganism from the small gut migrates up into the abdomen.
Arriving there, it ferments the carbohydrates and sugars that are there. This produces fuel or, what is known as, bloat.
How do prevent Acidity and gas?
One can follow up the number of methods to prevent acidity and they are quite simple to follow :
- Avoid foods causing reflux
- Do not take more spicy, coffee, carbonated beverages acidic and fatty foods.
Spilled your meal: Do not stick to 3 times regular meals. Spilled in 5 portions so that pressure and reflex can be avoided.
Don’t lie down after eating: Take at least 2 hours to reach your bed after eating because the food will be flown back to the esophagus. Try to eliminate acidity-triggering foods for some weeks, and examine and reintroduce them.
Lose weight: Excessive fat pressures the abdomen region thus pushing the gastric juice into the esophagus. Try to reduce weight if you are overweight.
Avoid certain medicines: some OTC pills such as ibuprofen and paracetamol sedatives may induce acidity and other prescription drugs like sedatives, calcium channel blockers beta blockers develop acidity.
Try to wear loose clothes around the waist and the stomach region as it can reduce tension around these areas.
What are the natural ways to reduce acidity?
The Indian kitchen comprises various ingredients which can be used for getting relief from the problem of acidity. Some of the best home remedies for acidity are given below :
1) Banana and apple: Bananas contain antacids that naturally fight against acidity and intake of a few slices of apple before bedtime helps in relieving heartburn or reflux
2) Coconut water: while drinking coconut water the body’s ph level turns alkaline and it produces mucus in the stomach. Mucous prevents the stomach from the severe effects of excessive acid production. this fiber-rich water supports digestion and prevents the remittance of acidity
3) Enough sleep. go for at least 7 hours of continuous sleep
4) Cinnamon: Cinnamon has natural antacid properties that provide relief not only from acidity but also from gastritis. Making cinnamon tea with a half teaspoon of cinnamon powder in water and boiling it and drinking it two times a day relieves acidity
5) Basil leaves: Instant relief in problem of acidity can be provided by drinking basil leaves tea or chewing basil leaves due to their soothing properties
6) Apple cider vinegar: It helps in treating acidity as it has an alkalizing effect on the stomach. Mixing one or two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in water and drinking twice a day will help in taking care of acidity
7) Buttermilk: It is the simplest and the best home remedy for treating acidity. consuming buttermilk is a big advantage as it contains lactic acid which inhibits stomach acidity
8) Cumin seeds: the cumin seeds are a great source of acid neutralizer thus providing necessary relief from the problem of acidity. Adding roasted and slightly crushed cumin seeds will provide necessary relief and drinking it after the meal will help in easing down the symptoms of acidity
9) Baking soda. It is very helpful in neutralizing the acid present in every individual’s stomach. Mixing a spoon of baking soda with water and drinking it before the fizzing stops prove to be advantageous in healing acidity problem
10) Ginger: The neutralizing and anti-inflammatory properties of ginger help in alleviating the problem of acidity. Drinking a ginger tea or simply chewing a slice of ginger can provide a desired effect on the acidity
11) Fennel seeds. The carminative properties of fennel help in providing relief from the symptoms of acidity. Simply chewing fennel seeds or drinking hot water with fennel seeds can help in attaining the desired positive effect.
12) Cold milk: Drinking cold milk also helps in relieving the symptoms of acidity and works from the root cause by neutralizing the acid produced by the lining of the stomach which is essential for the digestion of food. The gastric acids within the stomach get neutralized by the cold milk.
How to reduce stomach acidity and gas naturally
Basil contains chemicals that help get rid of many stomach diseases and intestinal worms.
- Chew some raw basil leaves after each meal.
- This will relieve you of acidity.
- Another way is to take three to five basil leaves in one cup of water.
- Once the water comes to a boil, then allow this to steep for a few minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Stir thoroughly and consume it.
Digestive problems and deficiency diseases can be caused due to long-term suppression of stomach acid.
- Take a cup of water and add half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- Once the water comes to a boil, let it simmer for a few minutes.
- Have this drink two to three times a day.
This remedy can make you feel cool and relaxed. You can drink buttermilk if you have an upset stomach.
- Buttermilk is yummy, the cool drink made from curd.
- Simply stir 1:4 ratios of curd and water.
- Stir well and consume three to four times a day.
- Another remedy for using buttermilk is you can mix half to one teaspoon of fenugreek paste to it.
- Drink this to relieve stomach aches caused by acidity.
You can also mix in a little black pepper and one teaspoon of roughly ground coriander leaves for the best results.
APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
- Apple Cider Vinegar has an alkalizing effect although it is acidic.
- Mix one or two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water.
- Drink it once or twice before meals.
- Because of their antimicrobial properties, cloves offer many health benefits and one of them is providing aid in digestion.
- Chew two to three cloves post-meal.
- You can also use a mixture of crushed cloves and cardamom.
- Take equal amounts of both and have it.
- Cumin works as a great acid neutralizer thus it can also be used to treat acidity. It also relieves stomach pain caused by acidity.
- Roast and crush some cumin seeds and stir them well into a glass of water.
- Drink this mixture after every meal.
- Boil one teaspoon of cumin seeds in a cup of water. Strain the seeds and drink this after your meal.
- Ina one-half cup of water mix one teaspoon of coriander seed powder, one teaspoon of cumin seed powder one teaspoon of fennel seed powder, and some sugar. Drink it before breakfast.
- In ginger, the anti-inflammatory properties help in treating acidity.
- Fresh juice of Ginger aids in neutralizing the stomach acids. A spoonful of ginger juice taken two to three times a day can provide relief from acidity and heartburn.
- Else, chew a slice of fresh ginger during acidity.
- Another option is to use it with ginger tea. Put some fresh ginger slices in a cup of boiling water and let it steep for a few minutes and drink it.
- Jaggery is alkaline thus it aids digestion, and reduces stomach acidity.
- Suck a small piece of jaggery after each meal until the acidity subsides. Note that this remedy is not appropriate for people who have diabetes.
- Fennel seeds are obtained from an aromatic and medicinal herb. These are extremely useful in the digestion process.
- It cures acidity, gas, and stomach disorders.
- Take a spoonful of fennel seeds and chew it down.
- Drink some water and see the effects.
- Another way is to steep one or two spoonfuls of fennel seeds in a cup of water.
- Boil it for 2 minutes.
- Strain the water and drink it a couple of times.
- Milk is known for its soothing effects. Its constituent elements like Calcium help in curbing acidity.
- Pour a glass of cold milk and drink it to get rid of acidity problems. You can also add honey to the milk.
Ginger and Lime Juice
Rock Salt, Ginger, and Asafetida
Dill and Honey
Ginger, and Pepper
Chew a teaspoonful of fenugreek seeds and wash it down with a glass of hot water. This remedy not only acts as a natural gas relief remedy but also aids in building pressure that helps you to pass motions and relieve pams.
Roast three to four garlic cloves with clarified butter until they turn brown. Chew them slowly and swallow everything.
Stomach flu what to eat
Natural medicine researchers have shown that elderberry extract can be used as a stomach flu treatment. The reason behind this application is the ability of the extract elements to reduce the virus activity by binding with each virus and thus preventing them from penetrating gastrointestinal tract cell walls.
There are various kinds of mint available such as peppermint, catnip, lemon balm, spearmint, and wintergreen mint. Mint may be beneficial for stomach flu because it has antimicrobial properties that may help lessen the amount of virus in the GIT.
Bananas are rich sources of potassium, which is essential during diarrhea to prevent electrolyte imbalances. People with stomach flu may benefit from bananas to manage loose bowel movements and prevent problems related to potassium loss.
Applesauce improves the bulk in stools to improve the consistency of the feces during diarrhea. Apples also contain rich amounts of potassium to prevent electrolyte imbalances.
Oral Rehydration Solution
Sodium or salt is normally present in our body and is depleted when one has viral gastroenteritis due to diarrhea and vomiting. If you have stomach flu, be sure to include the needed amounts of sodium in the diet by using iodized salt. Also,
- you can drink a salt and sugar solution.
- Mix 1 tsp of sugar and a pinch of salt in a glass of lukewarm water.
- Drink the solution after each bowel movement or vomiting.
Crackers and Toast
Crackers and toast can combat nausea associated with viral gastroenteritis. They are easy to digest preventing gastric distention. Besides, it also reduces the acidity of the stomach which is usually increased during stomach flu.
Rice water contains high amounts of electrolytes such as sodium and potassium that prevent diarrhea complications. Besides, rice water also reduces the workload of the stomach and the intestines; thereby limiting food intolerances associated with stomach flu. You may want to add either cinnamon or honey to improve the taste.
Blueberries contain high amounts of dietary fiber that can improve the bulk in stools. It is high in fiber but low in roughage, which limits loose bowel movements.
Besides, blueberries have antimicrobial and antioxidant properties to reduce the virus and toxins in the GIT that causes gastroenteritis.
Yogurt is probably the most popular stomach flu remedy. It is also one of the most effective remedies since it contains live microorganisms or probiotics that maintain the integrity of the gastrointestinal tract. It prevents other opportunistic microorganisms such as viruses from infecting the GIT.
Garlic is also a popular remedy because of its antimicrobial properties. However, make sure not to take garlic raw because it may lead to further gastric irritation. You may take blanched or roasted garlic instead.
Chamomile is one of the most effective stomach flu remedies since a long time ago, which has lots of benefits such as smooth muscular relaxation, sedation, carminative effects, and anti-inflammatory properties as well as antimicrobial properties.
Rest is one of the best remedies. Since there are no specific treatments for it, rest may help the body regain energy lost through vomiting and diarrhea. Do not underestimate the rest!
Among all the stomach flu remedies, water is the most beneficial because the body needs water more than anything else during the presence of stomach flu because of vomiting and diarrhea which cause dehydration.
Prevention of gas and acidity
Stop Solid Foods
Once the stomach flu symptoms have been noticed, stop solid food intake for a while to let yourself cool down. This will also prevent causing more damage to the inflamed walls of the gastrointestinal tract
As an alternative to that, you may take lemon juice and water earlier than every meal. In your abdomen, the lemon juice will act equally to that of HCl. At the time of the bloating, this may be performed:
- Keep away from gas-producing meals, similar to beans, cabbage, different members of the cabbage household, and complete wheat flour merchandise.
To scale back gas-causing sulfur compounds in beans (garbanzo, pinto, navy, and many others.), use the next cooking methodology:
- Place 1 cup of beans in 5 cups of water and convey it to a boil.
- Boil for one minute. Then drain the beans and add 5 cups of contemporary water.
- Carry the water to a boil and proceed to cook the beans by instructions.
- Keep away from lactose. Consuming dairy meals can produce fuel within the massive bowels.
- It’s doable to eat an excessive amount of fiber at a time.
- This will induce some bloating.
- Take charcoal, to assist cut back the fuel. The charcoal will absorb it and carry it off. Activated charcoal is the greatest.
Individuals who sigh usually swallow air. Keep away from tight belts and tight-fitting garments. Those that don’t put on belts and girdles have much less indigestion.
- Don’t postpone bowel actions.
- Keep away from consuming water fountains. You may hardly drink at one without gulping down air.
- A low-fat weight-reduction plan helps cut back carbon dioxide manufacturing within the high (duodenal) space of the small intestines.
- Synthetic sweeteners produce fuel.
- Drink sufficient water. A dry mouth encourages swallowing.
- Keep away from repetitive belching, for you are likely to swallow extra air than you launch.
- Each chewing gum and smoking improve the swallowing of air.
- Carbonated drinks (beer, champagne, smooth drinks) and meals with whipped air trigger extra meals to be ingested.
- Keep away from consuming meals.
- To expel extra air, rock backward and forwards within the knee-chest place.
When should you see a gastroenterologist for acid reflux?
Though acid reflux is common in all, do visit a gastroenterologist if the symptom is recurrent. This potential condition will not disappear on its own. Untreated acid reflux or GERD will lead to oesophageal inflammation, ulcers, and cancer too.
Immediately consult a doctor when
1) Symptoms persist for more than 6 weeks
2) Decreased appetite
3) Heartburn with nausea and vomiting
4) Unable to swallow
5) Chronic hoarseness and wheezing
6) Nighttime symptoms that affect the quality of sleep.
During the visit doctor will examine your esophagus, stomach, and duodenum to determine the cause and will provide you with the treatment.
Follow these home remedies and include them in your daily diet to get relieved of the symptoms of acidity in the long run.
Reference medical research links