how to cure jaundice in adults
Jaundice is not a disease but rather a sign that can occur in many different diseases. Jaundice is the yellowish staining of the skin and sclerae.
What is the Neonatal Jaundice?
Neonatal Jaundice(also called Newborn jaundice is a condition marked by high levels
of bilirubin in the blood. The increased bilirubin cause the infant’s skin
and whites of the eyes (sclera) to look yellow.
Symptoms of Jaundice
- Yellow coloration of the eyes, skin, tongue, and urine.
- Loss of appetite.
- Dull pain in the liver region.
- severe constipation.
- extreme weakness.
- a headache and undue fatigue.
- Blocked bile ducts by infection, tumor or gallstones
- Viral hepatitis (hepatitis A, hepatitis B, hepatitis C, hepatitis D, and hepatitis E)
- Drug-induced cholestasis as a result of bile pools in the gallbladder because of the effects of drugs
- Drug-induced hepatitis triggered by antidepressants, anti-cancer drugs, steroids, oral contraceptives, testosterone
- Biliary Stricture
- Alcoholic liver disease (alcoholic cirrhosis)
- Cancer of the pancreas
- Primary biliary cirrhosis
- Ischemic hepatocellular jaundice caused by inadequate oxygen or inadequate blood flow to the liver
- Intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy (bile pools in the gallbladder because of the pressure in the abdomen with pregnancy)
- Hemolytic anemia
- Disorders present since birth that cause problems processing bilirubin (Gilbert’s syndrome, Dubin-Johnson syndrome, Rotor’s syndrome, or Crigler-Najjar syndromes)
- Chronic active hepatitis
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Jaundice Symptoms
- Loss of appetite
- Yellow discoloration of the eyes, tongue, skin, and urine
- Dull pain in the liver region
- Itching with obstructive jaundice
Home Remedies and tips
- Drink atleast 8 glasses of water each day.
- Eat lots of raw fruits & vegetables especially green leafy vegetables.
- Avoid coffee, tea, alcohol soda pop and other junk foods
- Reduce dairy products cheese, milk.
- If possible Fast for a few days.
- Do not smoke it will worsen jaundice.
A mixture of spearmint, Lime and Ginger juice mixed with honey, could be taken frequently.
Soak a piece of Peepal bark in water overnight and consume the water the following morning. It stops excess urination in the jaundice patients.
- 3. A decoction of tamarind leaves is useful in treating jaundice and ulcers.
Diet for jaundice
- Barley water, fruit juices are effective.
- Do not eat fatty foods.
- avoid foods which agitate stomach.
- Do not give cereals and pulses.
In case of fever give fruit diet and fresh fruit juices to drink and to take good rest.
- Grapes, black soya beans, nuts,
- sweet potatoes are effective fruits for jaundice patients.
Also, Read Home-remedies-for-jaundice-in-adults