What is Pleurisy?
Types of Pleurisy
Causes of Pleurisy
- Inflamed Outer Parietal Pleura Inflamed Visceral Pleura Pleural Effusion
- Lung infections, like tuberculosis and pneumonia.
- Injuries to the chest.
- Other medical conditions, such as systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, pulmonary embolism, and liver diseases.
- Reactions to certain medicines.
- Pleurisy commonly occurs due to some other underlying medical condition, which should be treated first. A person can have pleural effusion even without pleurisy.
- Medical conditions, such as heart failure, kidney disease, and liver disease can also cause pleural effusion without the additional pain and inflammation of pleurisy.
- Arteries carry blood in and out of the lungs and clotting of blood in the arteries
- Excessive smoking and addiction to alcohol.
- Having pneumonia also could induce pleurisy.
- Pleurisy could be caused as an aftermath of heart surgeries.
- Rib Fractures could also be a cause for Pleurisy.
- Lung cancer could also be a cause.
Symptoms of Pleurisy
Diagnosis for Pleurisy
If any of the symptoms as explained earlier are experienced then it better to consult a doctor immediately and undergo certain tests. The first test that is suggested is having an X-ray test on your chest region. The results would show if there are any abnormalities in the lungs and heart. CT scan and Ultrasound might also be suggested by a Doctor that will show whether the patient
Treatment for Pleurisy
Home Remedies for Pleurisy
- Placing a hot towel in the chest region or supporting the chest with a couple of pillows might give relief. Releasing blockages in the bronchial tubes would ensure good blood circulation and ease the pain. This could be obtained by an herb called hog.
- A powdered hog taken every day along with some hot fluid would see that the bronchial tubes.
- Drinking plenty of fresh milk every day not only gives energy but also would result in pain reduction.
- Drinking fresh orange juice twice a day will help in building up immunization and would increase the capability to fight diseases.
- Having a long walk in getting fresh air in beaches or early in the morning would help in relieving pain.
- Leaves of the olive tree are said to have excellent antibody building properties. They are also known for anti-oxidation properties and hence they can be used for pleurisy. Black seed oil is an excellent builder of the immune system.
- Those who are infected with pleurisy are advised to take food prepared with black seed oil.
- Leaves of celery and seed also can be used to relieve pain caused by pleurisy.
- Having a rich natural vegetarian diet is more beneficial and will have some good effects on the health of the patient.
- Vegetables like cauliflower and cabbage are a good suggestion when it comes to pleurisy.
- Potatoes can be a rich protein supplement and could be consumed on a regular basis.
- Put 4 or 5 leaves of hand crushed eucalyptus in boiling water and inhale the vapors emanating to get immediate relief.
If the Pleurisy is of a dry type accompanied by dry coughs then one should pay attention to the environment as well. If the humidity of the place you live is less than that would elevate the inflammation and would cause more pain. In such a case increasing the humidity level of your room is very important. In this case, you can opt for a humidifier that would keep the atmosphere moist with good humidity levels.
Pleurisy home remedies
- Put the patient to bed and keep him/her warm.
- Give a high enema, and apply fomentations to the chest and upper back.
- Continue this for 1-2 hours;
- let the patient rest, and then repeat.
- Keep doing this until the pain has ceased.
- Maintain hot fomentations; they will disperse the water in the lungs and keep the pain from returning.
- The fomentations should be large, thick, and hot, and changed frequently.
- Do about 5 changes, and do not follow with any cold treatment; this is important.
- Use a hot water bottle on the chest following the fomentations.
- It may be kept there nearly all the time.
- If his chest is allowed to become chilled, pleurisy will become worse!
- Give hot herb teas of pleurisy root, yarrow, valerian, and buckthorn bark.
- Add skullcap if the pain is severe.
- Excellent herb tea is a tbsp.
- each of pleurisy root and yarrow, and a pinch of cayenne.
- Put it in water brought to a boil.
- Let it steep, and then drink a large swallow of the warm tea every hour.
- Only give fruits, oatmeal water, vegetables, and grains. Allow no meat, milk, alcohol, or junk food.
- Do not jar the patient. Move him carefully, gently. Jars and quick motions make pleurisy worse and greatly increase the pain.
- He/she, of course, needs fluids, but do not give him too much during the crisis.