(Last Updated On: May 15, 2020)Pipli in Hindi, Thippali in Malayalam, Pippallu in Telugu, Hippali in Kannada, Lendi Pimpli | Lendi Pipal in Marathi, Maghaun in Punjabi, Pipul in Urdu, Pippol in Bengali and Pipli in Gujarati.
Amazingly thippili has other wonderful uses that most of us are not fully aware of.
This article will reveal the amazing benefits of Thippili
Like for instance, it is used for treating depression, weight loss, all kinds of inflammation, and diabetes! Long pepper has anti-cancer, antioxidant, antidepressant, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, analgesic, antifungal, and cardioprotective properties.
I prefer to make my thippili podi (powder).
pipali churna at home by sun-drying the fruits till crisp then powdering it in a mortar and pestle or a dry mixer.
You can also buy the powder from the markets but please remember that thippili rasayanam sold in the markets is a blend of different herbs including long pepper as one of the ingredients. The one sold in North India in the name of pippali Rasayana contains long pepper, ghee, and honey. Both these rasayanas should be taken only under medical supervision.
Long Pepper Side Effects
Long pepper in normal dosages like the amount we use in rasam at home will not cause any side effects at all. But long pepper has anti-fertility properties so pregnant women and lactating mothers should not consume long pepper in large doses.
- To make the pipali churna:
- Take thippili in an empty kadai and roast it till it gets heated up. Let it cool completely.
- Powder it finely in a mortar and pestle, your pipali churna is ready.
Uses of Thippili Long pepper
For Throat Irritation
Certain people will always suffer from throat irritation, for them pipali churna will greatly help. Take around 1 gram of the powder and mix with honey and consume both morning and evening once.
For Cold & Cough:
Take 1 gram of the powder and mix it in warm milk and drink. You can also add a pinch of turmeric to make it more effective…
For Indigestion, Weight Loss, Fever & Asthma:
I would suggest taking thippili along with sukku and pepper (trikatu or thirikadugam), you can read about the complete method of making it here.
- Measure out the peppercorns, long pepper, and dry ginger in a plate and sundry till crisp. The weight of the three ingredients should be approximately the same. You don’t have to sun dry for a long time, just 15 to 20 minutes in bright sunlight would too.
- Powder it as finely as you can in a dry mixer and you don’t have to sieve it.
- To make the decoction, boil cup water along with 1/2 tsp of the herbal powder mix.
- Boil for a few minutes, switch off, and strain. The longer you boil, the spicier it will get and if you boil it for too long, it will taste bitter. If you like to sweeten, I would suggest sweetening it with palm candy. This mixture can be taken daily twice until one gets good relief.
Sun-drying makes it easier to grind the ingredients finely.
The mixture need not be too fine, a little coarseness is ok.
Like I mentioned before, the amount of powder to be added depends on the age.
This powder can be given to young children from the age of 2 to 3 years onwards.
For young children, from 2.5 years to 3 years onwards less than 1/4 Tsp will be more than enough. If children refuse to drink it, you can sweeten with honey too.
This powder can be made and stored in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.
This powder can be used for all cold-related problems.
This same remedy can be used to treat indigestion.
Also, read Why You Should Eat Banana