Have you ever noticed dark colored skin under your eyes?
I’m sure you might have. This dark discoloration of the skin under your eyes is what is called dark circles. It has other names as dark rings or shadows as well. You may have the world’s most beautiful eyes, but as and when you develop dark circles, all the beauty of your eyes is gone.
Although dark circles are not one of the serious skin disorders, they are definitely unwanted as they make people look older, tired, and unhealthy. Increasing number of people, irrespective of age; sex and race, are developing dark circles under their eyes. Before I start talking about the remedies, it is necessary for you to understand the reasons behind getting these dark circles. Some of the main causes of dark circles are as follows:
- Age factor
- Mental or physical stress
- Lack of sleep
- An unhealthy diet
- Dry skin
- Prolonged crying
- Working for long hours in front of a computer
- Excessive smoking and drinking alcohol.
- Pollution and allergies.
- In females, hormonal imbalance due to menstruation, pregnancy or menopause can also lead to dark circles.
Needless to say, that many cosmetic products, such as concealers and a variety of make-up are available in the market these days to hide or lighten these dark circles under the eyes. Though these products can hide your dark circles, they cannot cure them. Moreover, these products are expensive and contain large quantities of chemicals that can have adverse effects on your skin. Having said that, why not try some remedies at home? Believe me, many natural remedies can treat dark circles effectively! Sit back and read on.
The potatoes contain an enzyme called catecholase that has bleaching properties. So, when applied to the skin the bleaching agent causes the skin to lighten and also reduces the puffiness around your eyes. Follow these steps:
- Extract the fresh juice of one or two raw potatoes. You can do it easily by grating it.
- Dip a cotton ball in the extracted juice so that it soaks well and then apply it over your eyes, covering the entire area of the dark circles under your eyes as well as the eyelids, keeping your eyes closed.
- Let the juice be applied for 10 to 15 minutes so that it works well for you.
- Wash your eyelids thoroughly with cool water.
You need to continue this once or twice daily for a few weeks. In case, extracting potato juice seems difficult, you can use thick potato slices instead which works as well.
Almond oil works wonders to replenish and rejuvenate any skin and keep it moisturized. So, naturally, it works as magic for the dark circles as well. Being a rich source of Vitamin E and several other nourishing vitamins and minerals, it lightens the skin color around the eyes, effectively.
- Drop five to six drops of almond oil on your fingertips and gently massage it into the skin over the dark circles before you go to bed.
- Keep it applied overnight.
- When you get up in the morning, wash it off with cold water.
Following the same procedure, you can also add one tablespoon of raw honey or coconut oil to five or six drops of almond oil. But instead of cold water, wash with lukewarm water the next morning. Follow this remedy, until you get the desired results.
Also, Read Home-remedies-for-dark-elbows-and-knees
Everyone among us might have seen ladies putting on the cucumber slices on their closed eyes and relaxing as they have a soothing and refreshing effect. In addition, with their cooling and mildly astringent properties, cucumbers can lighten the color of the skin, increase blood flow and reduce puffiness.
- Peel a fresh cucumber, slice it and keep them refrigerated for about 30 minutes. Keep the chilled slices of cucumber on your eyes for about 10 minutes. And then wash with water. You get better results when you follow the procedure twice in a day.
- Alternatively, you can extract cucumber juice and mix it with lemon juice in equal proportion. Dip a cotton ball in the mixed juice and apply it on the dark circles. Wash it off with water after 15 minutes. You need to follow the procedure daily for about a week.
- You can also use fresh plane cucumber juice after cooling it in the refrigerator. Apply it on the dark circles with a cotton ball. Let it be for about 15 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water. This procedure needs to be followed twice in a day.
Rose water is a well-known beauty product having marvelous skin-enhancing qualities that have the potential to lighten dark circles under the eyes. It has antioxidants in the bounty that strengthens and regenerates skin tissues and rejuvenates the skin around the eyes.
- Soak clean cotton balls in rose water for a few minutes and place them over your closed eyes.
- Allow the cotton balls to sit for about 15 minutes.
- Wash the area with lukewarm water and pat it dry.
- Follow this remedy twice daily for a few weeks, preferably, once in the morning and once in the evening.
Having said these, keep in mind that dark circles need time to get cured completely. Hold on and have patience. Be committed to the remedy tips you have started and do not expect magic to happen overnight.