Table of Contents
Child safety tips for parents
What should we do?
- 1, Always keep the baby neat and clean.
- 2, Cut the nails properly with utmost care.
- 3, Wet nappy should be removed and parts should be cleaned with soap.
- 4, Take care of the genitals because fungal infection is common in that area. Parts should be kept dry.
- 5, Care of the scalp is very important. Fungal infections, dermatitis, etc can be prevented by proper cleaning.
- 6, Tight dress can irritate, hence dress should be loose and should allow entry of air.
- 7, Room should have sufficient light and ventilation. It should be free from dust and insects.
- 8, Separate bed preferably waterproof is needed for kids. It should be arranged near the mother’s bed.
- 9, Always keep some music-making toys near the baby.
- 10, While carrying the baby support the head with your hand. Since the neck muscles are weak sudden fall of the head can be dangerous.
- 11, Mother’s milk is the best nutrition for the baby, it also gives emotional attachment. Breast milk should be given as per the baby’s need preferably in the mother’s sitting position. Proper cleaning of a nipple is also necessary. The mother should take a good nutritious diet throughout the lactating period.
- 12, If there is some contraindication for breastfeeding cows milk can be given. The feeding bottle should be cleaned with warm water and should be kept dry until the next use.
- 13, Cows milk should be boiled and cooled. Some diseases like bovine tuberculosis, brucellosis, etc spread through raw milk.
- 14, Some children are allergic to substances like food, milk, dress, cosmetics, etc. Try to find out the material causing allergy and avoid such things.
- 15, Mosquito nets should be used regularly. Diseases like malaria, dengue, filariasis, yellow fever, etc. spread through mosquito bites. A mosquito bite can also produce skin eruptions with some allergic reactions. It also disturbs the sounds of sleep.
- 16, A calm atmosphere should be maintained for a good sleep. Compared to adults infants need more sleep. It is said that growth hormone secretion is activated during sleep.
- 17, Growth development, behavioral development, motor development, personal social development, language development, etc should be noted down concerning age. However, parents need not be over-anxious because slight variations are seen from individual to individual.
- 18, Assessment of growth by measuring height and weight is necessary.
- 19, In the early months of life infant, may defecate after every feed. Proper toilet training should be given when the infant grows. The infant can be placed on the toilet seat by the age of ten months.
- 20, The toilet seat (potty seat) should be cleaned with antiseptic liquid before and after use. It should not be shared by other children.
- 21, If the baby shows some signs of distress like excessive crying, convulsions, fever with rigor, the stiffness of the neck, frequent vomiting and diarrhea, bluish discoloration of the body, difficult breathing with grunting, ect pay attention and consult your doctor.
- 22, A first aid box should be kept in the room, which should contain sterile cotton, dressing materials, antiseptic lotion and ointment, and forceps. A separate book should be maintained to note down the phone numbers of doctors, ambulance, police, etc.
- 23, Child’s medicines should be kept in a separate box. Information regarding dose and mode of administration should be written on paper and affixed to the box.
- 24, while driving keep the baby in a separate seat belt.
- 25, When you are going out with the baby keep an identity card with your phone number and address inside his small pocket.
- 26, When the infant starts walking always accompany him to prevent a fall and injuries thereby.
- 27, In emergencies, take the first aid measures and take the victim to a nearby hospital.
The baby may swallow some solid objects and cause obstruction. Immediately make the baby lie on the abdomen in the head low position and press the abdomen backward and towards the chest. Stroking the upper back is also useful. If no result calls a trained person to take the material with the help of forceps.
Try to take out the poisonous substance and induce vomiting (except kerosine & acids). Wash the body with water to reduce absorption through the skin. Identify the poison and take the victim to the hospital.
First of all, remove the source of heat and put clean cold water. Burned cloaths should not be removed immediately. Cover the wound with sterile cotton and take it to the nearby hospital.
Clean the wound with clean water and stop the bleeding by compressing, raising the wound above the level of the heart, or use a tourniquet to compress blood vessels. Then dress the wound in sterile cotton and bandage and consult a doctor.
Drowning in the bathtub:
Take the baby immediately and keep in a head low position, press the abdomen gently or give a mouth to mouth sucking till the airway is clear. Give mouth-to-mouth breathing and cardiac massage and take the victim to the hospital.
Stop the source of current. Then observe the victim, if no breathing gives mouth-to-mouth breath along with a cardiac massage and take to the hospital. And last but not least, give your child maximum care, love, and support to make him healthy and happy forever.
What should we not do?
- 1, Never shake the baby, it can cause damage to the brain.
- 2, Don’t keep any small articles near the baby.
- 3, Sharp pointed articles like pens, pencils, etc should not be given to kids.
- 4, Avoid entry of water into the ear while giving a bath.
- 5, Food should not be given forcibly when the baby is crying or coughing continuously.
- 6, Should not overfeed the baby.
- 7, Articles like mosquito repellents, mothballs, ink, gum, medicines, etc should be kept away.
- 8, Avoid tight clothing.
- 9, Should not be placed near the edge of the bed.
- 10, Should not give the baby to strangers and avoid close contact with others.
- 11, All electrical instruments should be kept away, and the bed should not be arranged near electrical sockets and wires.
- 12, Kitchen is a dangerous place for children. Don’t keep them alone in the kitchen.
- 13, the Water level in the bathtub should be minimum and don’t go for any other works(to attend phone calls or calling bell, etc) when the baby is in the tub.
- 14, Avoid smoking inside the house.
- 15, Should not allow pet animals to be in very close contact with the kids. (anti-rabies injections should be given to pets and cut their nails properly)
- 16, When the child starts walking should not be kept alone upstairs and should not allow them to climb the steps.
- 17, the Strong light should be avoided in the room.
- 18, When you are traveling don’t give the food articles given by co-passengers.
- 19, Baby should not be allowed to crawl on the soil.
- 20, If you are sick or someone else is sick be away from the kids.
- 21, Don’t take the baby to hospital wards, crowded marketplaces, and polluted dusty areas.
- 22, Table lamp should not be kept near the kids, this will attract insects at night and cause problems.
- 23, Other medicine should not be given to the children.
- 24, Medicine that has crossed the expiry date should not be used.