- Causes of burning sensation
- Peripheral Neuropathy:
- Burning Feet Syndrome
- Home remedies for burning sensation in the feet
- Bitter gourd
- Cold Water
- Epsom salt
- Bitter guard leaves
- Epsom salt
- Try the magic of turmeric
- Healing with Thyme
- Foot Massage
- Increase blood flow in the feet with regular exercise
- Get direct sun exposure
- Hot Pepper Poultice
- Dietary Remedies
- How to prevent burning sensation in the feet?
What is a burning sensation in the feet?
Burning sensations in the feet is a very common problem and can affect people at any age. The burning sensations can range from mild to severe and can be acute or chronic. Often, burning sensations in the feet are due to some damage or dysfunction in the nervous system. The problem is medically termed as Paresthesia. The problem should never be ignored as it may be the result of some underlying medical conditions too. Here are some health issues that expose clinical symptom of burning sensation in feet.
Causes of burning sensation
Neuropathy is the first cause of burning feet the damaged nerves send pain to signals to the brain even though there is no wound. This problem is sometimes associated with diabetes, chronic alcohol abuse, and exposure to certain toxins. Other causes include deficiencies of B vitamins, folic acid, thiamine or calcium; athletes’ foot; injuries, traumas, stings, and bites from insects; burning feet syndrome; chronic kidney disease, and peripheral vascular disease.
Underlying health issues that lead to burning sensation in feet
When there is a damage in the Peripheral nerve system, you may feel pain in the legs in spite of the absence of any injury. This problem mostly occurs in patients with diabetes, and they often complain of burning sensation in feet.
Hypothyroidism passes fewer nutrients to hands and legs due to the reduction of the thyroid, and the result is swollen feet and legs. These swelling on different parts of a body exerts pressure on the nerves leading to burning feet.
Burning Feet Syndrome
The problem occurs when there is damage to small nerve fibers in the feet. There is an apparent underlying cause for the problem. It can be due to an underlying health condition or genetic basis. The burning sensation is generally felt on the soles of the feet, but, it sometimes spreads to the lower leg and worsens pain during the night.
Home remedies for burning sensation in the feet
The above-mentioned health issues are only a few to be mentioned about underlying health conditions of burning feet; here the focus is to list out the home remedies for burning feet.
The treatment for burning sensations in the feet depends on the underlying cause, however, you can try some simple remedies, like Bitter Gourd, to reduce the discomfort.
- Grind a handful of bitter gourd leaves with a little water until you get a smooth paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected area and soon the burning sensation will reduce.
- Repeat as needed.
from the tingling and numbness of the feet. This is a well-known remedy for burning feet. You are sure to get immediate relief from the numbness of burning feet with the cold water. This home remedy needs you to place the feet in the tub of cold water for 3-5 minutes and repeat the process after giving a small break. You can repeat the process 3-5 times a day for effective results.
- Fill a tub with cold water
- Soak your feet in the tub for 2-3 minutes
- give your feet some rest repeat again 3-5 times a day
Note: If you have sensitive skin avoid soaking for a long time.
Epsom salt soothes feet and provides relief from burning sensations
Epsom salt contains magnesium sulfate which helps to reduce inflammation and pain in the body and improves nerve functionality.
How to use
- Take half teaspoon of Epsom salt in a tub large enough to put your feet.
- Add warm water in the mix it well.
- Put your feet once a day until you get relief.
Bitter guard leaves
Irrespective of underlying diseases that cause a burning sensation, using bitter guard leaves serves as an excellent home remedy for burning sensation in feet. You should grind a handful of bitter guard leaves into a smooth paste with the help of the water. Apply the paste in the affected area to get immediate relief from the pain. Repeat the process as an when needed.
This salt is known to provide a soothing effect for your burning feet. The main ingredient of the salt magnesium sulfate plays a key role in reducing the inflammation and pain and improve nerve functionality.
- Mix a tablespoon of Epsom salt in a tub of water and dip your feet.
- Make sure you add warm water to the tub.
- Dip your feet into the tub till you get relief.
Try the magic of turmeric
Turmeric is known to be an anti-inflammatory property. It is also a good choice to provide relief from the burning sensation in feet. You can use it in two ways.
- Either apply it on the affected area in the form of a paste or consume it orally with milk for effective results.
- It will help improve blood circulation in the body thereby controlling inflammation and reducing burning sensation in the feet.
Healing with Thyme
This is a herb used in the Italian herb used in the continental dishes. If you try and get this, it helps to relieve burning sensation in the feet in a great way. The herb loosens up constricted vessels and increases the blood flow in the body especially in the affected area and helps in relieving burning sensation in the feet.
- Soak the herb and put it in two bowls of hot and cold water in equal amounts.
- Dip your feet for five minutes in each bowl repeatedly.
- Repeat the cycle for 20 minutes to get relief from the burning sensation.
Get a regular foot massage for 15-20 minutes in a day. This helps in relieving tension from joints after long hours of work. It is a great relief for burning sensation in the feet and allows it to heal quickly. For effective results use essential oils for a foot massage.
Increase blood flow in the feet with regular exercise
Exercise is a good habit to keep your body fit but, the unknown fact is a 30-minute exercise every day will at least four times a week increase the blood flow in the feet thereby giving you the needed relief from the burning sensation in the feet. You can consider going for a walk, run, swimming or cycling to increase the blood flow in the body.
Get direct sun exposure
Vitamin deficiency could also be a reason for burning sensation in the feet. You should get your body exposed to the sunlight every day at least 20 minutes a day. This not only helps you relive from the burning sensation in the feet but also add many more health benefits that you cannot expect.
Hot Pepper Poultice
Though it seems to be awe remedy for burning feet, it works. Placing hot peppers on burning feet may sound foolish but, it ought to create wonders. You should consider making the pepper paste to alleviate that tingling sensation in the feet. You should make poultice or pepper paste in the home. Boil a dozen of red chili peppers in the pot with small amount of water on a high flame. Remove them from the pan and crush the peppers. Now bundle them in thin and neat cloth in a poultice. Use slight pressure and apply it in the affected for relief.
Let’s not forget about the nutritional remedies that help in relieving burning sensation in the feet. You should avoid consuming highly processed foods, tobacco, alcohol as they aggravate toxins in the body and increase your foot pain. Include diet rich foods that have Vitamin B and niacin to treat burning sensation in feet.
How to prevent burning sensation in the feet?
The burning feet is most commonly caused due to underlying health conditions like diabetes and thyroid and vitamin deficiency Taking preventing measures to keep away these health disorders is an effective preventive measure for burning feet.
However, following certain tips mentioned here will help you prevent burning feet.
- Socks and shoes are protective shields for your feet when you roam around, make sure you change them after some time to prevent burning feet.
- Allow fee, socks, and shoes to dry out after you leave
- Rest your feet as often as possible
- Exercise regularly to increase the blood flow in the feet and prevent the underlying cause of burning feet
- Have a balanced diet with vitamin-rich food so that you can prevent burning feet due to vitamin deficiency .