Causes symptoms prevention diet and home remedies for epilepsy
Epilepsy is a disorder, which causes erratic and unprovoked seizures. Generally, there are two types of seizures. While epilepsy might not cause long-term harm, the medications for epilepsy might cause that. It can affect anyone and be difficult to recognize at first. However, with time, it will be easier for you to know about epilepsy and be prepared for it.
Epilepsy is marked by strong seizures and muscle twitches, which are uncontrollable. Sometimes, during a strong seizure, the patient can lose consciousness or become confused. However, in case of a seizure, the patient is left with partial memory loss of the incident.
Symptoms of Epilepsy
One of the main symptoms of epilepsy is seizures. They vary from person to person based on their health conditions. However, the most common symptoms of epilepsy are
• Partial seizures including dizziness
• Loss of smell, sight, or taste
• Tingling of body parts
• Twitching of limbs
• Blank stares
• Repetitive movements
• Absence seizures
• Tonic and atonic seizures
• Clonic and myoclonic seizures
Causes of Epilepsy
So, now that you know about epilepsy, what causes it? The most common causes of epilepsy or seizures are
• Illness or fever
• Lack of sleep
• Stress and anxiety
• Bright lights or flashing light patterns
• Medicines, drugs, alcohol, or excessive consumption of caffeine
• Certain food ingredients or irregularity with meals, including overeating or skipping meals
Other special causes might be
• Brain injury and trauma
• Lack of oxygen to the brain
• Brain tumor
• Alzheimer’s disease or dementia
• Genetic disorders
How To Treat Epilepsy Without Medication
Some of the most common home remedies for epilepsy are given below.
#1: Ash Gourd
This is a common sweet fruit of northern India. If you don’t know its English name, then you might know about its local name ‘Petha’.
- To cure epilepsy, you need to peel the fruit and eat it.
- You can also extract the juice and chew it to reduce seizures.
- A glass of ash gourd juice will go a long way in providing you long-term relief from epilepsy.
#2: Coconut Water
You might have experienced a cool, refreshing feeling after drinking coconut water. This is because the water is rich in natural electrolytes, and contains minerals required by the human body. Both these components can help you to reduce your epileptic fit. So, make sure you add that to your diet.
This is one of the cooking ingredients that you can find in every kitchen. What’s more, the pungent smell of this would make sure that you gain your consciousness rapidly. However, if you are looking to treat epilepsy without medication,
- you need to make a paste of garlic, milk, and water, and drink it daily.
- While the liquids will keep you hydrated, garlic will help you improve your neurological responses and overall health.
#4: Magnesium Sulfate
Magnesium sulfate, most commonly known as Epsom salt can also help prevent seizures. Make sure that you take a tablespoon of Epsom salt with water daily, and you will be able to keep epilepsy at bay.
#5: Chamomile Tea
Chamomile tea not only has healing and relaxing properties but also cleansing and anti – neurotic properties. With the help of chamomile tea, you can calm yourself, and get control over epilepsy. If you feel a headache or a mild seizure coming, you can always drink a cup of chamomile tea, and relax. What’s more, this tea will help you calm yourself and reduce anxiety and stress.
If you are trying to control seizures, then taking basil leaf can help you. You can also apply basil juice to different parts of your body, while you are in the seizure.
#7: Ylang Ylang Oil
Essential oils are a great way to curb epileptic seizures. You can use ylang ylang and lavender oil for a soothing effect. If you want, you can also use mint oil or chamomile oil to feel refreshed after a day’s work. This will help you to reduce stress, which in turn will help you to control your epileptic seizures.
Traditionally known as Hing, this can be a great cure for epilepsy. In a glass of milk, add a pinch of Asafoetida, rock salt, and ghee.
- Next, you need to boil it so that all the components are mixed properly.
- Now, let it cool and drink this mixture daily.
- You will also have a stronger immune system if you consume this mixture daily.
When To See A Doctor?
If you have epilepsy, be it mild or severe, you should consult a doctor so that the symptoms don’t increase. Each time a new symptom arrives, you should consult your physician and ask him/her for advice. Additionally, if you have any side effects from your medication, it is wise to consult your doctor.
Best Diet for Epilepsy
When you take the antiepileptic drug, you will be able to see a change in your symptoms. However, if you are resistant to medicine, you might need to change your diet to have a healthy lifestyle. Ketogenic diets are a great way to cure epilepsy. You can also make sure that you have Atkins’s diet. However, the ratio of Ketogenic to Atkins diet should be 3:1.
Epilepsy Prevention Tips
To curb epilepsy and reduce seizures, you should have a proper lifestyle. Additionally, make sure that you do the following
• Avoid alcohol and drugs
• Have a proper sleep schedule, even if you are not tired
• Take your medications as prescribed by the doctor
• Lessen your stress and anxiety
• Avoid exposure to bright light
• Have a proper meal and don’t skip any
At the end of the day, if you follow a specific lifestyle and are not too anxious or excited, you won’t have any problem controlling epilepsy. However, if the problem persists, make sure that you contact your doctor and seek medical help. Remember, it is always better to be safe than sorry, and your health comes above all.