Home Remedies For Gingivitis
Gingivitis generally means inflammation of your gums. It can be caused by a variety of reasons, but the most important one is not taking care of your oral health. It is a non – destructive disease, meaning your gums won’t be destroyed or fall off when you are suffering from it. However, like any other disease, it needs to be treated properly so that you can get rid of it.
What Is Gingivitis?
Essentially, this is an early version of a gum disease, which causes inflammation in your gums. The swelling, which the patient can experience at times is often caused by deposition of plaque and food particles between teeth. If untreated, it can also cause periodontis, which leads to loss of tooth in adults. One of the major disadvantages of gingivitis is that it is painless, so if you experience any mild inflammation or other symptoms, you should visit your dentist for a checkup.
Signs & Symptoms of Gingivitis
Common symptoms of gingivitis include
- Bad breath
- Swollen or bleeding gums
- Inflammation of gums
- Plaque build up
- Loose teeth
When gingivitis proceeds to advanced stages and causes periodontitis, it can cause the gums to shrink from the teeth. This, in turn, creates cavities or pockets, which is the breeding ground of bacteria. These bacteria can cause sensitivity or even tooth losses in extreme cases.
Cause of Gingivitis
The major or the only cause of gingivitis is the formation of plaque. Plaque is a yellow sticky liquid, which sticks to your teeth if it is not brushed daily. This can cause bad breath, and even tooth loss. Other causes of gingivitis include irregular brushing habits, smoking, illness, taking specific medicines, drugs or even genetics.
how to treat cat gingivitis at home with Home Remedies
you might wonder how long does it take to cure gingivitis?If you take preventive measures and treat the plaque, it can help you get rid of gingivitis. Certain home remedies work wonders in the plaque and acid removal and restoring your oral health. Let’s have a quick look at that.
Salt water is a great step in restoring your oral health. In addition to curing gingivitis, it also gets rid of swollen gums, reduces bacteria and inflammation, removes food particles from your teeth and helps soothe irritations.
In order to use saltwater rinse for your teeth follow the steps given below
- Add half teaspoon of salt to a glass of lukewarm water and stir well
- Swish the solution in your mouth for half a minute, but avoid swallowing it
- Spit out the solution after 30 seconds
- Rinse and repeat
Since you are trying to get rid of plaque and associated problems, you need to use a mouthwash. With lemongrass oil, it is more effective compared to the chemical mouth cleansers that you will use.
To prepare and use a lemongrass mouth cleanser, follow the steps given below
- Dilute two drops of lemongrass oil in a cup of water
- Swish the solution in your mouth, but don’t swallow
- Spit out the solution
- Repeat twice a day or as needed
Aloe vera has several uses when it comes to health remedies. One of the advantages of aloe vera juice is that you can rinse your mouth with it directly. You don’t need to use any water or solvent to it.
To cleanse your mouth using aloe vera juice follow the steps given below
- Take a swig of the aloe vera juice
- Swish it in your mouth
- Spit out the solution and repeat as required
Other essential oils like sage and tea tree oil can also help you get rid of your plaque.
Clove has some medicinal and healing qualities that can make sure that your gingivitis is cured. They have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which help you relive the pain easily.
To apply clove paste
- Mince a tablespoon of clove
- Dampen a cotton ball with water, and dip it in the minced clove
- Absorb as much clove as you can in the ball and rub that ball in your gums
- Let the mixture sit in the affected area for a minute or two
- Take a sip of water, and swish the liquid in your mouth to catch all the clove particles
- Spit out the water
While the clove treatment might be useful and help relieve pain, you shouldn’t use it in large quantities for long time period. After a week of its treatment, you should stop using it if the symptoms persist.
Turmeric is one of the natural elements that come with a lot of healing power. In addition to being anti-inflammatory, it is antiseptic in nature and can be used to get rid of plaque and other dental problems.
Turmeric can help in the bleeding of gums, but you should avoid it if you are allergic to turmeric or curcumin.
In order to apply turmeric gel properly, follow the steps given below
- Brush your teeth and rinse the mint away
- Apply the gel to the affected area of your gum
- Let it sit for 10 – 15 minutes
- Take a sip of water and swish it around your mouth to wash off the turmeric gel
- Spit the water out
- Repeat at least twice daily for better results
Baking soda contains antiseptic properties which help to prevent infections.
it is a famous home remedy in many countries for gingivitis treatment it helps to
reduce tooth decay and gum disease.
How to use?
- Take 1/4 tablespoon of baking soda.
- 1 half cup of warm water.
- Mix together and make a paste.
- Apply on the affected area.
- Leave for 10 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Repeat the remedy 3 times a week until you get relief.
Peppermint contains antibacterial and antiseptic properties. it is also used in many countries
for gingivitis treatment. it helps to reduce inflammation and bacteria which cause
How to use?
- Take a few peppermint leaves.
- Soak it in for 25 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth the mixed water.
- You can also make peppermint tea and drink it.
- There is also a natural peppermint flavored toothpaste available in the market you can brush with that.
Tea tree oil contains anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties, it has been used by many people in chronic gingivitis treatment. it may give instant relief from inflamed gums.
How to use?
- Take your toothbrush.
- Apply a few drops of tea tree oil in it.
- Brush your teeth carefully.
- Do not let oil swallow in your stomach
- You can also use tea tree gel.
Note: never Swallow tea tree oil it can cause diarrhea stomach irritation.
Oil pulling is ancient ayurveda treatment for many gum disease practiced by many
experts in india. oil pulling help to reduce bacteria which is responsible to
cause gingivitis. it also help to decrease plague. improve gum health.
How to use?
- Put 1 tablespoon coconut oil or sesame oil
- Let it in mought for about 15 minutes try to swish it.
- Spit it out after 15 minutes
Wash your mouth with luke warm water.
- Repeat this procedure every morning before brushing your teeth until you get
How To Prevent Gingivitis?
Once you have removed gingivitis, it might return if you don’t take care of your dental health. If you believe that your health issues might cause gingivitis, contact your dentist for a thorough check-up. Other than that, if you take some preventive measures, you won’t be suffering from gingivitis. Here are some lifestyle changes that you should try out to keep your dental health optimum
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day
- Floss once a day
- Use a mouthwash at least once a day, especially after eating when you cannot brush your teeth
- Do not chew tobacco or smoke cigarettes
- Floss daily.
- Try to brush with an electric toothbrush that can be effective in removing plague and tartar
Additionally, you should consume a diet which is rich in vitamins and minerals to get rid of your gum problems or stop it from happening.
Medical Research about natural treatment reference links