(Last Updated On: April 19, 2021)Tea tree is extracted from a tree called Melaleuca alternifolia, which grows in shrubs. It is primarily found in Australia. There are numerous benefits of tea tree oil and is used as an essential oil for home remedies for various ailments. It is also extensively used in various medicinal, cosmetic, and herbal products like soaps, oils, body lotions, and much more.
Tea tree oil is powerful and strong due to which, may cause skin irritation and allergy to some people. However, to overcome this side-effect, it can be used along with a neutral oil, or carrier oil like almond oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, or olive oil.
The various uses of tea tree oil are restricted to its external application and not its ingestion. In this article, we have explained in detail, some of the amazing benefits of using tea tree oil.
14 Extraordinary Uses For Tea Tree Oil
1. Tea Tree Oil for Acne
Tea tree oil is one of the best natural remedies for removing acne and pimples. It has antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, and disinfecting properties that reduce growth without interfering with the natural oil balance of the skin.
- While using tea tree oil for acne,
- add carrier oil with it and then apply it to the affected area with the help of a cotton ball.
- Allow about 10 minutes for it to work and
- then rinse off with water.
2.Tea Tree Oil for Fungal Infection:
Tea tree oil has antifungal and antiseptic properties. It is widely used in tropical medicines to reduce fungal infection. It is ideal for treating infections associated with fungus like athlete’s foot, toe nail infection and ringworm.
- Mix a few drops of tea tree oil with oregano oil,
- which is another anti-fungal essential oil
- apply the mixture directly on the infected are.
- Keep it for 10 minutes before washing off.
3.Tea Tree Oil for Dandruff:
Dandruff is caused due to the presence of a yeast infection in the scalp which creates a surge in the production of skin cells. When these cells die, they become flaky, which is known as dandruff.
Tea tree oil contains anti-fungal properties which help in fighting yeast infection.
- Take a few drops of tea tree oil,
- which should preferably be in their purest form.
- Add the oil into your bottle of shampoo.
- Make sure you do not add any excess amount of tea tree oil, which should be one single drop for 3ml shampoo.
- With regular use, dandruff will leave your scalp.
4.Tea Tree Oil for Head Lice:
Tea tree oil is used in various head lice treatment products like soaps, shampoos, and sprays. Not only is it effective in killing germs, but it also works as an insecticide in killing lice.
- Apply tea tree oil into your scalp and hair after mixing it with lavender oil.
- Allow it to stay overnight and then wash off your hair with shampoo.
- This will help in destroying lice.
- However, you will need to repeat this procedure until your head becomes lice-free.
5.Tea Tree Oil for Scabies
Scabies is a skin infection that is acquired through skin contact. It is caused due to a tiny insect called a mite. Tea tree oil contains terpinene-4-of which helps in killing this mite and helps in overcoming scabies. You can use tea tree oil while cleansing your body.
- Take somebody wash in your palm and add a few drops of tea tree oil into it.
- You can also use tea tree oil as a body oil.
- Add one teaspoon of tea tree oil with five teaspoons of olive oil and apply it thoroughly to the whole body.
6.Tea Tree Oil for Athlete’s Foot:
Athlete’s foot or Tinea Pedis is a fungal infection caused by a fungus called Trichophyton. It typically grows in parts of the body that remain damp or moist, like between two toes, and then starts multiplying. It is contagious and may keep returning from time to time.
Tea tree oil is an effective natural remedy for an athlete’s foot. It contains some strong and active compounds like monoterpenes, sesquiterpenes, and terpene hydrocarbons which help in reducing any fungal and bacterial infection.
The anti-inflammatory properties present in it helps in soothing the affected skin. You can apply tea tree oil directly to the infected area or use it along with carrier oil like olive or lavender.
- You can also keep your feet soaked in warm water after adding 10-12 drops of tea tree oil into it.
- Keep them soaked for about 15 minutes.
- Repeat this twice a day for best results.
7.Tea Tree Oil for Gum Or Dental Disease:
Tea tree oil is helpful in healing gum diseases and infections. It can be used as a home remedy to combat the bacteria in the mouth cavity that are responsible for plague, tooth decay and receding gum.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil with some coconut oil and swish it around your mouth or do oil pulling with it and then brush your teeth thoroughly.
- Tea tree oil also stops bad breath,
- Soothes tooth and him inflammation and provides relief from toothache.
8.Tea Tree Oil for Vaginal Infections:
When the growth of yeast becomes too much, it may cause unpleasantness and discomfort in the form of redness, inflammation, or burning sensation.
The infection may be due to reasons like diabetes, high estrogen levels, and side effects of taking antibiotics.
Tea tree is helpful in reducing vaginal infection. However, it can be harsh in your skin, especially if it is sensitive. Therefore, if you experience in discomfort while using it, it should be discontinued immediately.
9.Tea Tree Oil for Burns:
Depending on the severity of burns, burns are classified as first degree, second degree and third degree. Its major causes are high temperature or heat, sun, chemical exposure or hot chemicals or substances.
Being antiseptic and anti-inflammatory in nature it is an effective home remedy for mild and superficial burns. It is absorbed by the skin easily which accelerates the healing process as well as soothes and calms the inflammation.
Being non-greasy, it has the ability to penetrate into the different skin layers. Tea tree oil is especially effective in healing sunburns and avoiding blisters after burns.
10.Tea Tree Oil for Ringworm:
Being anti-fungal in nature, it is widely used as a natural remedy for ringworms. Put a few drops of pure tea tree oil on a piece of cotton ball and apply it directly on the ringworm affected area.
If you find the oil to be too strong or if you have a sensitive skin, dilutes it with carrier oil and apply it. You can do this thrice a day and up to four weeks, so that the fungal infection goes away completely.
11.Tea Tree Oil for Cuts:
You can heal minor cuts and wounds at home with the help of tea tree. It’s antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties helps in healing cuts quickly and helps in the regeneration of the damaged cells.
You can apply tea tree oil directly into the affected area after diluting it with carrier oil like olive or coconut oil or use it as a wash. Add two drops of tea tree oil into a cup of water. The water should be pre-boiled and then cooled.
Not dab a clean cotton ball into the solution and gently wipe and clean the wound. If the cut is minor, it can be left open, and otherwise, the proper dressing should be done after cleansing.
12. Tea free oil for Bronchitis:
Bronchitis is a disease that primarily affects the lung and causes mucus membrane inflammation, present in the bronchial tubes. This result in swelling that interferes with the free flow of air.
Some essential oils including tea tree oil, chamomile, spearmint, etc. are effective in reducing bronchitis and its various symptoms like unusual mucus formation, cough, discomfort in the chest, difficulty in breathing, mild fever accompanied by shivering or fatigue.
As tea tree oil is anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-viral in nature, which helps in fighting the infection that causes bronchitis. Moreover, due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, it is used for getting relief from swelling and inflammation and soothe the affected area.
13. Tea tree oil for Herpes:
Herpes is a type of viral infection caused by the simplex virus. It is a common STD or sexually transmitted disease. Apart from dietary changes and intake of supplements, essential oil like tea tree oil, clove oil or myrrh oil is effective in getting rid of herpes.
- Apply just a few drops of pure tea tree oil on the affected area after adding carrier oil into it.
- If your skin is not sensitive, you can apply it directly without any carrier oil.
- You can repeat this thrice a day.
14. Tea free oil for Pulmonary Inflammation:
Pulmonary inflammation or an inflammation in the lung can interfere with the normal breathing process and reduces the supply of oxygen to the various parts of the body. When there is a swelling in the lungs, it may cause pulmonary inflammation.
Tea tree oil may hell in soothing the inflammation and aid in restoring the normal respiration process. Due to its medicinal and therapeutic properties, tea tree oil is used in many health care products for lung and skin infection.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil into a vessel of boiling water and inhale it.
- You can also use a facial steamer for inhaling tea tree oil.
- You can also use a facial steamer for inhaling tea tree oil.
- You can also use a diffuser or humidifier, which can be helpful in reducing the inflammation.