What Is the Cause of Cough, Symptoms, and Natural Treatment
A cough is one of the most common illness that we all experience several times in our lives. An occasional cough is no cause of concern; however, a cough that lasts for weeks, or one that shows bloody mucus requires emergency care. Below you will find herbal remedies for a common cough:
A cough helps to clean your throat and your breathing passage by an explosive discharge of air. It also clears the foreign agents like mucus, smokes, irritants, dust, microbes, fluids and other things from your throat. A cough is very common among people of all ages ranging from newborn to adults.
However, the sufferings know no bounds when newborns get affected with cold and cough. Not sure why your little one having a cough? Hang on for a moment and check out the causes of a cough, its symptoms, and treatments as well. Let’s get started without delay!
What Causes Cough?
A cough happens due to respiratory tract infection usually caused by viruses and bacteria. The infections that are caused by the virus may last a few days up to a week in some cases. However, the infections that are caused by bacteria usually takes a little while to clear up. Besides, if you have a history of dust allergy, dry and polluted air may cause you cough as well.
Symptoms of cough
The symptoms of cough include:
- Bad sore throat
- Frequent throat clearing
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Shortness of breathing
- Severe earache or itching
- A very bad sour taste in the mouth
- Blood with cough
- Heartburn or chest pain
- A strong feeling of liquid coming down the nose and throat
- Trouble in swallowing
The above-stated symptoms are very common, mostly, in the case of a normal cough. If you are having a chronic cough or of some other types, the symptoms will be different and you may get a fever along with it. Don’t hesitate to see your doctor if you experience anything odd.
How to stop coughing at night naturally
A cough can be treated with a number of home remedies as well as quality medicines. Cough that is generally occurred by allergy, cold or some other infections, can be cured at home with simple ingredients. But when you are attacked with bacterial infections, then you may even need to take antibiotics to cure. However, we have listed some home remedies for your little one that you can try to get rid of a cough. And, they are way better than medication, especially when it’s a normal cough.
Salt Water Gargle
Well, salt water may seem something unusual to you but it’s a great remedy for a normal cough.
- It helps to soothe a sore throat and clears your throat.
- To make it, add 1-2 teaspoon salt into a glass of warm water.
- Give it a stir and gargle afterward. It also removes irritation as well.
Peppermint is a magic plant. It has been used from the ancient times to get rid of infections and pain.
- The leaves and skin od peppermint contains natural healing properties.
- It contains menthol that soothes a sore throat.
- Again, it helps in mucus breakdown as well.
- Peppermint tea is a popular drink and contains anti-biotic and anti-inflammatory agents. Peppermint bath is precious for various purposes. It’s a great way to heal cough too.
Honey contains some organic anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties that can contribute to a great extent to treat a sore throat, first of all.
- You can also try some holy basil leaves together with honey as well.
- Simply, take one teaspoon honey and a few crashed holy basil leaves in a small bowl.
- mix them well and intake them to heal cough quickly.
Ginger is basically used as a spice but it also helps to prevent cough and cold.
- Ginger water helps in many ways when it comes to treating cold and cough.
- Take a few slices of ginger and boil them into the water for 10-15 minutes.
- Now, wait for a while and consume the water when it is lukewarm.
- It will help you get rid of cough.
Lemon water along with holy basil, honey, and ginger is a quick remedy for cough. It can provide you with the best result if you have cold and cough. It’s a great solution for bad sour taste while treating cough at the same time.
Apart from these, if you don’t like to go for medication at the very beginning, moisturizing the air in your living room can also help you to a great extent to get rid of a cough. A baby humidifier can be the right plus one in your newborn nursery if your little one gets cold and cough.
for adults, a steamy shower and a few lifestyle changes can help you get the quicker result. And, last but not the least, avoid smoking if you use to do. Smoking tobacco irritates the lungs and chances are there that it can worsen coughs as well.
Herbs for cough
How to use the home remedies
As you know the above-mentioned home remedies are not medicine but you should not consume in large amounts take small amounts until your cough is gone.
Chamomile or Green Tea
- 1/2 Ounce of Peppermint leaves
- 1/2 Ounce of Echinacea
- 1/2 Ounce of Calendula petals
- 1/2 Ounce of Cinnamon sticks
- Quart of Purified water
- 2 Ounces of honey or glycerin
- Bring the water to a boil
- Add the herbs
- Boil down to a pint
- Strain out the plant matter
- Place tea into the jar
- Add in honey or glycerin
- One tablespoon every few hours
- Stays good for up to a week in the refrigerator