Presently, Canada’s immigration department is finding new ways to accommodate individuals whose visa applications are on hold because of disruptions caused due to COVID 19 in several countries.
IRCC has announced special procedures for affected permanent Canadian resident applicants, study or work permit applicants, and even citizenship applicants. All they need to do is communicate their current situation through the online web form to IRCC.
Below given are more details on this matter.
Permanent resident applicants
People who are applying to get Canadian permanent residence through the express entry system procedure have to submit their application within 60 days of getting their invitation to apply.
It’s good news that even if anyone’s application is incomplete because of being unable to send the necessary documents due to issues related to COVID 19, the incomplete application will still be considered by IRCC.
In that case, however, applicants have to attach a letter explaining why are they unable to send the required documents. Once applicants receive the missing documents, they can send them to IRCC through the online web form.
Also, people who wish to withdraw their application can do the same through an online web form.
Refunds will only be available to those who withdraw their applications within 24 hours of submitting them. You can take the help of Panel Physician Toronto in this case.
Canadian citizenship applicants
If you are apprehensive that you might miss the important dates in their Canadian citizenship application procedure, you can contact IRCC through their online website, explaining your reasons. You can contact them if you think you will miss out on any of the following events:
- Knowledge test
- Taking the pledge of citizenship
If in case you have missed any of the following events, you must contact ITCC within 30 days. If you have returned from a foreign country, which is affected by a coronavirus, you get an additional 30 days for submitting the required documents and an extension of 45 days for submitting the medical documents for Immigration Medical.
All those applying for Canadian citizenship will have to meet the physical presence requirements. Out of five years immediately coming before the day of their application, applicants should be present for a minimum of three years in Canada.
Procedures to follow if you are unable to travel back to Canada
Those whose application has been approved for permanent Canadian citizenship, but can’t travel to Canada, must explain their cause and situation to IRCC using their online web form as soon as possible.
Once people are permitted to travel across countries, they must inform the IRCC to resume their process of a permanent residence application. The same steps should be followed by people whose application for permanent residence in Canada has expired.
Temporary visitors, workers snd students are restricted from leaving Canada
- Foreign residents who are in Canada as a visitor can apply for an extension of their stay in Canada.
- Temporary students and workers have a few options to opt for, depending on their situations.
- Students who have completed their studies or no longer want to continue can change their status to a visitor
- Some can even extend their study or work permit, depending on their circumstances. IRCC has made it compulsory to attach a note explaining the reason for an extension on staying in Canada with their online application.
- If your visitor, study, or work permit has expired within 90 days, you can restore the status.
- If 90 days have passed and you haven’t applied for an extension, you can apply for a temporary resident permit.
- You can also enquire if you are eligible for any Canadian immigration program.
Nationals of foreign countries like China, Korea, and Iran who have applied for a Canadian visa will be given more time to fulfill every necessary step and submit every document. No matter what you are applying for, make sure your application has reached the right office.