5 signs you need to see an orthopedist
There are 206 bones in the human body and the number of joints can range between 250 and 350. If a bone or joint doesn’t work properly then the person can end up facing a lot of pain and discomfort. If you have been noticing pains in your joints or bones, then you might have to visit an orthopédiste or orthopedic doctor.
What do orthopédists do?
Orthopédists are doctors who specialize in the health of joints and bones and they can help in diagnosing and treating your ailments. You might not know when is the best time to contact an orthopédiste but if you end up facing any of the five following signs then you should know that it is time to pick up the phone and call the orthopédiste to book an appointment.
Let’s have a look at 5 of the most important signs which warrant a visit to the orthopédiste.
- Difficulty in performing everyday tasks: – If you happen to be someone who is old then with old age you might face issues like bone and joint discomfort. That being that these discomforts shouldn’t prevent you from doing your daily activities safely. If you have been noticing discomfort in performing tasks like climbing stairs or walking the dogs, then there are ominous signs that something bigger is amiss, which warrants a visit to the orthopédiste, at the earliest.
- If you suffer from chronic pain: – The best definition of chronic pain is any pain that has lasted longer than 12 weeks. Being in pain and discomfort for a couple of days is one thing but if the pain lasts for several weeks and months then these are signs that something bigger is amiss which warrants a visit to the orthopédiste, at the earliest.
- Limited range of motion: – If you notice your joints feeling tighter and tighter as more and more days pass by, then you should take this very seriously because these are signs of a limited range of motion which can cause diseases like arthritis. If you happen to be someone who is suffering from a limited range of motion then the best bet would be to see an orthopédiste at the earliest to fix your issue and prevent it from potentially getting worse.
- Instability while walking or standing: – If you find yourself wobbling and shaking while performing basic functions like standing, walking, sitting down, or even standing up, then these are ominous signs that you need to take very seriously. These are surefire signs of something being horribly wrong with your joints and if you happen to be in such a situation then the best way out for you would be to visit an orthopédiste to figure out what exactly is causing the instability and then you can work with the orthopédiste in correcting the same.
- Soft tissue injury which shows no signs of healing: – If you have suffered a soft tissue injury like busted wrist or twisted knee or sprained ankle and notice that the same hasn’t healed in over 2 days, then chances are high that something bigger is amiss which warrants a visit to the orthopédiste, at the earliest. The pain of soft tissue injuries should begin subsidizing after a couple of days and if it doesn’t so happen, then chances are something bigger is amiss which warrants a visit to the orthopédiste, at the earliest.
The Bottom Line
There you have it, that was everything you needed to know visiting an orthopedist. If you find it difficult to perform everyday tasks or have been suffering from chronic pain that shows no signs of subsidizing, then you need to visit an orthopedist at the earliest.