A few simple Home remedies for swollen tonsils
If there is one thing that tortures you when eating, drinking, and remaining without doing anything, it is swollen tonsils. Yes, it is that hard. You will face this problem when your throat gets infected. Both viral and bacterial infections are considered the prior reason to swollen tonsils. You may face symptoms such as inflamed tonsils, pain when consuming something, hoarse voice, sore throat, headache, painful blisters, fever, ear pain, and bad breath. However, if you are infected virally then, it will heal on its own. But, bacterial infection must be treated with antibiotics. If you consult a doctor he/she may prescribe you with essential medicines to treat tonsils. Yet, before consulting a doctor you can try home remedies for swollen tonsils.
Signs and symptoms of tonsils include
- Inflamed tonsils
- Pain when consuming something
- Hoarse voice
- Sore throat
- Painful blisters
- Ear pain
- Bad breath
Causes of tonsils
You might know how hard it is to handle tonsils. But, do you know what causes tonsils. Here we go:
- The Bacteria and viruses that enter the body affect your throat.
- Even common cold can become a reason for tonsils.
- The bacterial infection that causes strep throat can lead to tonsils.
Home remedy for swollen tonsils and sore throat
You don’t have to buy or search for these items because you can find everything at home itself. Read below to find home remedies:
this is an evergreen remedy that you can try without spending hours. First of all, you have to mix warm water with salt, and then, gargle it. The pain, inflammation, and infection will be reduced instantly.
- You should take ½ teaspoon salt and add with 4 ounces of water.
- Stir well until it dissolves.
- Gargle for a few seconds swish through and spit it out.
Note- do not swallow.
Warm water and honey
Most of the time warm beverages help to soothe discomfort. When you are suffering from tonsils, you will feel uncomfortable. So, warm tea is one of the best home remedies. Raw honey, which has the antibacterial properties will help to treat infections.
- You should drink warm tea mixed with honey so that discomfort and inflammation can be treated in a short time.
- There are different types of tea and the benefits also differ accordingly.
- For example, Ginger tea can be considered the best anti-inflammatory tea to treat inflammation.
This is a spice which has antimicrobial properties so it helps to reduce the growth of bacteria and micro-organisms. With the help of cinnamon, you would be able to reduce inflammation, pain, and swelling.
- You should add a teaspoon of cinnamon to a hot water glass.
- If possible, add two teaspoons of raw honey.
- Stir it well, and drink it while it’s warm.
- You should repeat this 2-3 times a day.
This being a great anti-inflammatory spice along with antiseptic qualities, treats tonsils in a great way. You would be able to relieve pain and irritation with the help of turmeric.
- In order to make the mixture,
- you should add ½ teaspoon of turmeric,
- ½ teaspoon of salt to a glass of hot water.
- Gargle this every morning and evening until you get rid of the tonsil.
Note– Hot water shouldn’t be too hot that it might burn your throat.
Milk with black pepper
this is also an old remedy followed by older generations. This should be done at night to gain a better result. So, you should add a pinch of black pepper to a cup of warm milk. You should repeat this 2-3 times a day to get quick results.
this is considered an excellent home remedy for tonsils. The Fenugreek is also called AS Methi. This has antibacterial properties so it will fight against bacteria that cause tonsils. Also, you will gain quick response and relief from inflammation and pain.
- In order to prepare it,
- you take three cups of water and add two tablespoons of fenugreek.
- Simmer it for around 30 minutes.
- Let it cool after strain it. Gargle the mixture for 30 seconds and spit it out.
- You should repeat this twice a day to gain a quick result.
of course, coconut oil is a great home remedy. With the help of anti-bacterial properties in coconut oil, you would be able to detach pathogens and gain instant relief. Also, you will be able to eat and speak once you follow this remedy.
- You just have to drink a spoon of melted coconut oil.
- When drinking it, you should tilt the head back so that it will reach your throat.
- You should hold it for some time to gain expected relief.
- You should do this several times a day so that you can gain quick relief.
this will provide temporary relief so if you are rushing for work or any important activity, you should suck some lozenges. This has the anesthetics so when it’s mixed with saliva it helps to reduce pain in a great way. You should not suck more than 12 lozenges in one day.
this is one of the simplest home remedies. But, you can do this if the tonsils pain is not severe and if you have been just infected.
- You just have to take a glass of warm water, make sure it is not hot.
- You should gargle it for about 30 seconds.
- Also, you must repeat this at least three times a day to get positive results.
Time to consult a doctor
Although you have to try home remedies for swollen tonsils if you sense that tonsils are getting worse. If you face symptoms like fever, fatigue, and scratchy throat for more than 24 -48 hours you would have to consult a doctor. You will be prescribed with antibiotics and other treatments. So, if you face the above symptoms you must book an appointment with the doctor.
Prevention for tonsils
Well, tonsillitis is highly infectious. If you want to prevent or reduce the risk of being affected by tonsils you must stay away from the ones who are infected. You must clean your hands regularly, especially, it is important to clean if you have been spending time with a person who has cough, sore throat, or a common cold. On the other hand, if you have tonsillitis, you should stay away from others.
The final words
Most of the time tonsils are treated within 7-10 days if the infected person consumes a lot of fluids and take good rest. Even if you consult a doctor or do home remedies, you must keep drinking liquids to recover soon. Meanwhile, let your body rest for some time. It is seldom that people might undergo surgeries for tonsils. So, if you want to treat tonsils before it gets worse you must try the above-mentioned home remedies. Also, you should bear in mind, if you don’t see any changes even after following these remedies or if you are being affected by tonsils regularly, you must consult a doctor at the soonest.