What is the common cold?
The cold is a viral infection of your throat and nose, its normally harmless
many types of cold viruses causes common cold. This common cold increase more in winter season.
Causes of common cold
There are many types of viruses which causes the common cold, cold virus
enters the body through nose, eyes, or mouth the cold virus can spread
when someone who is sick coughs, sneezes or talks.
Smoking: you are more likely to be exposed to the cold virus if you smoke
Weak immune system: If you are the immune system is weak your chances to get cold is higher.
Seasonal cold: many adults and children under 6 years of age suffer from cold in winter season.
Symptoms of a common cold
Common cold symptoms normally appear 2 to 3 days after exposure to cold virus signs and symptoms are different for adults and children.
- Low-grade fever
- Chest congestion
- low body pain and headache
- Feeling unwell
- A runny nose
• Take vitamin c tablets. They are good to help boost your immune system.
• Pour lemon juice and honey into a small cup. Mix it up together. Take various tablespoons of the remedy throughout your day. Repeat this process on a daily basis until you feel better.
• Prepare your favorite tea but replace the sugar with honey.
• Prepare a lemon tea by boiling half of the lemon into two cups of water. Once the tea is prepared, sweetened with either sugar or honey.
• Cook your favorite soup but make sure you add garlic to help fight the microbes.
• Chicken soup will help ease the symptoms and relieve stuffiness.
• Drink lots of fluids. This helps loosen the phlegm.
• The Zinc vitamin can help boost your immune system.
• Take hot showers to alleviate stuffiness.
Turmeric for common cold
Turmeric contains curcumin which has antibiotic and antioxidant properties. Drink warm milk with turmeric at morning or bedtime continue this process till you get relief from common cold.
Ginger has an aroma that soothes your nose, ginger is also a good remedy for chest congestion because it has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Take inch ginger
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 cup water
- boil for 1 minute
- Drink warm ginger tea.
- Do this till you get relief.
Over the counter medicine should only be used by adults. For children buy drugs appropriate for their age. If the cold persists more than several days 3-10 then it would be advisable to consult a physician. Honey is harmful to babies under one year old. It is advisable to take home remedies at the first sign of the flu. You will get well a lot sooner.
When to consult a physician
- Severe sore throat, headache.
- Fever more than 100 (38.5 C)
- Difficulty taking breath
- Fever lasting more than 5 days