Dry mouth, cotton mouth, both of them describe the same diseases as the medical name is xerostomia which is a very common problem being faced by a lot of people. Cottonmouth can be caused by a change in the saliva composite tuition and production or by the deducted salivary flow. It a is often a symptom of the inappropriate working of salivary glands which is normally associated with dehydration, anxiety, stress, snoring, smoking, drinking alcohol and depression. And pregnant and breastfeeding moms may also suffer from cotton mouth due to hormonal changes and dehydration.
Moreover, dry mouth might be the side effect of specific medications which normally used to cure depression, anxiety, and nerve pain as well as decongestants, painkillers, antihistamines, and muscle relaxants. Other possible reasons for cotton mouth include radiation therapy, nerve damage, autoimmune diseases, and chemotherapy.
Symptoms of cotton mouth involve a parched sensation in the mouth, stringy or thick saliva, excessive thirst, a rough tongue, bad breath, cracked lips, loss of taste and difficulty speaking, swallowing and chewing. The cottonmouth can be extremely irritating and troublesome due to a sticky sensation in the mouth. This problem could be easily cured with simple lifestyle alters and natural home remedies.
Dry mouth remedies over counter
Increase Fluid Intake
Dehydration is the most common causes of cotton mouth. Thus, the best thing you should do is to increase your water consumption to always keep your body hydrated. Appropriate hydration will help your body to improve saliva production and to eliminate the symptoms of cotton mouth.
- Consume sufficient amount of fluid throughout the day.
- Consume frozen chunks water-based fruits as we as veggies such as watermelon, cucumber, and pineapple.
- Drink smoothies, vegetable juice, and fruit juice.
- Drink 1 – 2 cups of coconut water on a daily basis.
- Consume herbal teas such as chamomile tea, green tea, and other teas
- Eat liquid and soft food such as soups and stews.
- Avoid those beverages that contain caffeinated and alcoholic because they can increase the chance of dehydration.
The fennel seeds flavonoids regulate the flow of saliva and thus helps you to eliminate the dry mouth problems. Moreover, the aromatic flavor helps to fight bad breath that accompanies cotton mouth.
- You can mix some fenugreek seeds and fennel seeds together before using a pan to fry them
- Grind the mixture thoroughly and add some salt.
- Consume a ½ teaspoon of this mixture after every meal.
Another natural home remedy for the cottonmouth is slippery elm. Thanks to its mucilage, slippery elm turn into a slick gel when it is diluted with water. This will aid coating and soothe the mouth and the throat too. Moreover, it can effectively treat the discomfort sensation associated with the cotton mouth.
- Add 1 – 2 tablespoon of slippery elm into a glass of hot water.
- Let it be for steeping about 10 minutes before straining it and adding honey.
- Consume this tea twice a day.
- Alternatively, mix some slippery elm powder with water to create a paste.
- Apply the paste inside the mouth
- Let it be for several minutes and rinse the mouth
- Do this once or twice a day.
Cayenne pepper is one of the best remedies for the cottonmouth to regulate live production. Moreover, it will help to boost the taste buds thus you can distinguish sweet, sour, bitter and salty flavors.
- Ground a handful of cayenne pepper and use to rub it on your tongue. This might lead to a bit tingling sensation for some time, but it will regulate your salivary glands to improve the saliva production.
- Alternatively, sprinkle some of the cayenne pepper powder into your salads, soups, and dishes. Moreover, taking cayenne pepper capsules after asking your doctor would be another effective way as well.
Not only does it cure cotton mouth, but it also protects the sensitive tissue as well as improves the taste buds.
- You can consume the ¼ glass of aloe vera juice on a daily basis to treat cotton mouth
- Wash your mouth by using aloe vera juice is another option.
- Alternatively, use a cotton swab to apply aloe vera gel.
- Let it be for a few minutes and wash your mouth by running cold water through it.
- Repeat the process 2 – 3 times a day.
You can use ginger to cure your dry mouth. It is one of the most effective natural home remedies in regulating saliva and keep your mouth fresh all day.
- Take a small piece of ginger and chew it slowly.
- Repeat this several times a day
- Alternatively, consume 2 – 3 glasses of ginger tea mixed with honey to stimulate your saliva production.
Another effective home remedy to get rid of cotton mouth is grapeseed oil. Its moisturizing qualities help to coat and keep your mouth moist. Moreover, containing a high amount of vitamin E will aid in the healing process of any sores in your mouth.
- Rub some grapeseed oil inside your mouth.
- Let it be overnight
- Rinse your mouth again in the morning with warm water
- Brush your teeth
- Do this on a daily basis before going to bed.
Lemon juice can regulate saliva production and help you to relive cotton mouth symptoms. Moreover, its acidic property can help you to cleanse your mouth and get rid of bad breath too.
- Mix some lemon juice with honey into a cup of water.
- Sip this water throughout the day to keep your mouth moist and stay hydrated.
- Also, drink lemon juice to cure cotton mouth but ensure that you use sugar – free lemonade.
- Additionally, sprinkle some salt on a piece of lemon and rub it on your tongue.
Oil pulling which an ancient Ayurvedic method, can keep your mouth moist and therefore, it is very helpful in curing dry mouth. It is also good in retaining oral health and getting rid of bad breath. You can use sesame oil, coconut oil, and any other vegetable oil.
- Use 1 tablespoon of extra – virgin coconut oil and swish the oil around the mouth for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth again with warm water.
- Brush your teeth
- Repeat the process on a daily basis
- Note: Do not swallow or gargle the oil.
This is another Ayurvedic remedy to get rid of cardamom. By chewing a pod of cardamom, you can moisten your mouth and eliminate bad breath.
- Whenever your mouth is dry or after every meal, chew a pod of cardamom thoroughly
- Alternatively, mix some cardamom powder into a cup of hot water
- Steep it for 10 minutes and drink it.
- Do this once or twice on a daily basis.
- Avoid chewing tobacco or smoking since it can hamper saliva production
- Consume sugar – free chewing gum or hard candies to promote saliva production
- Put a humidifier into your bedroom to stimulate the air so that your mouth won’t be dry for a long period.
- Breathe through your nasal passages, not your mouth
- Avoid taking medicines that contain antihistamines, decongestants, and diuretics since these can dry your mouth.
- Use warm salt water to gargle your mouth every day
- Inhale steam to keep your mouth, airways and nasal passages moist.
- Besides flossing and brushing your teeth, you should cleanse your tongue on a daily basis too. Use toothpaste and mouthwash with fluoride.
- Chew your food thoroughly before swallowing and drink water while eating. After that, rinse your mouth with lukewarm water.
- Limit acidic and spicy food intake as they can trigger your mouth.
- Moreover, lower your sugary food and beverages consumption since they will increase tooth decay’s risk.
- Consume those snack that contains the high amount of water such as celery sticks to regulate the saliva glands and keep your mouth moist.