Break free from the chains of headache 20 types of headache with preventative therapy for headache.
Learn the secrets to fast relief and strategy that can prevent tension headaches and migraines and more.
Whether you are suffering from the tightness or tension headache or sinus inflammation or throbbing agony of migraines when headache pain attacks you want it gone and never want it back
Headache is a very common condition that leads to pain in the head and scalp and causes discomfort. It can be mild but sometimes severe cases makes it difficult to concentrate on studies and work affecting the day to day daily activities. Most of the headaches can be managed with medications and lifestyle changes. But sometimes it’s effective to gather the reasons for what causes headache to treat the roots rather than just popping pain killers to calm it for a few hours which is just gone to come back again. A headache which is painful and reoccurs, again and again, can lead to disruption of normal life.
Headache can also cause various other problems by just popping painkillers in the long run which can hazardous to life and cause various side effects which are potentially not the actual treatment for headache. It is just a palliative mode of treatment. Patients need to understand this in the long run as it can affect the quality of life. Many people experience headaches as part of their life. 50 % of adults experience pain in head atleast once a month
CAUSES OF HEADACHE
The causes of headache are:
- Change in sleep pattern or lack of sleep
- Skipped meals
- Poor posture
- Glare: Brightness from computer screen or sunlight
- Noise: loud noise or repetitive sounds
- Physical activity may lead to exertional headaches.
- Hormonal imbalance
- Food sensitivity: example caffeine, chocolate, alcohol and cheese.
20 TYPES OF HEADACHE
Let’s see the various types of headache :
1)Tension headache: Tension headaches are mainly due to stress that occurs due to tension which persists due to daily activities. Chronic daily headaches are the typical feature of the tension headaches due to stress of tension as the name suggest.Mild to moderate headache across the forehead or back of the head for which the main cause is stress.Dull constant pain in the forehead across the head which is due to dehydration, lack of sleep, loud noise, skipped meals and eye strain.
2)Sinusitis headache: Inflammation of sinuses with recurrent runny nose may lead to this type of headache.It is mild to moderate headache at the bridge of the nose or the cheeks with nasal congestion or postnasal drip.
3)Cold headache: Frequent cold and cough may lead to headache which is characterized by the blocked stuffy nose with difficulty in breathing. Infectious air bone diseases might lead to the fever which can cause body pains and headaches.
4)Migraine headaches: Pain is localized to temple eye back of the head with a characteristic one-sided headache which is difficult to deal with.Pain is accompanied by nausea, vomiting vertigo and visual disturbance with sensitivity to light and noise
5)Gastric headaches: Acidity along with gas or flatulence is one of the major causes of headaches which will lead to indigestion affecting the productivity of life.Take care of your diet in such a case is essential.
6)Cluster headache: Cluster headaches are severe recurrent headaches that last up to 15 minutes to 3 hours and occurs more commonly during the day with several episodic attacks
7)Exertional headache: Exertional headache is brought about by physical exercise such as running, jumping, weight lifting, bouts of coughing. These headaches are short-lived and may last for two days. Moderation is the key to exercise and these type of headaches
8)Hypnic headache or alarm clock headaches: It is usually seen in the elderly patient above the age of 50 with excessive throbbing pain in the head at night.The pain is so severe that they wake up in the middle of the night and hence called an alarm clock headache.
9)Caffeine related headaches: Heavy coffee consumption of more than 4 cups a day can lead to problems of headache. Sudden withdrawal may cause the headache which can last for 2 weeks as you stop coffee abruptly.
10)Fasting headache: Mild to moderate type of pulsating headache which is more common when one skips a meal or has irregular eating patterns.Symptoms strike before a meal time with hunger headaches prevalent when skipping a meal with low blood sugar and muscle tension.
11)Head injury headaches: Headaches due to traumatic injury might lead to chronic and severe pain in the head.An MRI scan would give the perfect reason for such a traumatic injury resulting from the impact of the blow on the head.
12)Menstrual headaches: Migraine type of headache that occur before, during or after the period of menstruation or at the mid-cycle which is the time of ovulation. The main precipitating factor is changes in the estrogen levels which may be the main cause of headaches. Headache is also seen during menopausal syndrome where the hormonal levels fluctuate leading to hot flushes and other symptoms of menopause.
13)Hangover headaches: consuming too much alcohol can lead to hangover headaches. Symptoms go in 72 hours but it is importantly associated with nausea and vomiting due to excessive drinking with pain in both the temples aggravated by the slightest movement.
14) Cervigenic headache; Cervical spondylosis headache may due to degenerative changes in the spine and formation of bony spurs which may lead to compression of the nerve causing pain in the nape of the neck with vertigo and headache.
15) Tic doulourex headache: Trigeminal neuralgia headache is jab like a headache which is triggered mainly due to facial pain where the trigeminal nerve is involved causing electric currents like pain which is radiating to the cheek and mandibular joint.
16)Headaches due to medication: A headache may be a warning signal to increase in blood pressure.Some medications for which illness the patient is being treated might cause a headache. Such patients suffering from the cardiovascular problem may have a headache due to nitroglycerine which is essential for cardiac patients.
17)Brain infection headache like encephalitis or meningitis.Any kind of inflammation or infection affecting the brain with high fever causing headache should be treated with a conventional line of treatment.
18)Hemicrania continua – headaches that are persistently on one side only.It is more of unilateral headache either left or right.
19)Dental headaches: Structural problems with bones face and teeth. Radiating pain of the face along the tempo mandibular joint should be taken care as it can be a dental pain which causes severe headache.
20)New daily persistent headache NDPH: This is more of chronic headache.It is best described as a headache less than three days which of rapid development and unrelenting headache with no history.
Sensitive brain cells:
Despite how common they are, the scientist doesn’t usually understand what causes headaches. But one theory that holds for people affecting with migraine is that brains of migraineurs are fundamentally more sensitive than that of normal people. When people get migraine overexcitable brain cells to create an electric wave that spreads across the brain. This electric wave causes the release of prostaglandins and serotonin that dilate the blood vessels and causes the killer headache. You should be concerned about a headache when it’s persistent chronic and there are several episodes of the headaches. You should get medical help right away when there is dizziness or sense of loss of balance with vomiting and vertigo or when you can’t move your body. You need to see a doctor immediately if any of these signs occur or if you have the following symptoms as follows:
● A high temperature or fever
● Confusion or drowsiness
● Unsteadiness while walking
● Blurred vision
● Stiff neck
● A head injury like a concussion
● Wakes up because of headache
● Several episodes of a painful headache
● Headache with vomiting
● Headache that disrupts home school and social life and work
● A chronic headache that doesn’t get better with treatment
Everybody is different. Listen to your body. It’s smarter than you think. Knowing what works for you can help in avoiding headache in future. Experiment and see what works for you. Rebound headaches are those headaches that occur after the patient stop taking the medications which they use to take to earlier treat the headache like some painkiller. Such a headache creates a vicious cycle that is very difficult for the patient to break and to get rid of the headache. Firstly understanding the cause and the type of headache is essential to treat and follow up various steps of prevention with care.
PREVENTIVE THERAPY FOR HEADACHE 20 Prevention steps to be taken for headache
Treatment of headache varies according to the cause. If headache are being caused by illness then it’s likely to go away once the underlying condition is treated. However, most headaches are severe and can be treated with over the counter painkillers. However, consuming too many painkillers is not a solution to headache as it may lead to various side-effects. There is a possibility that in case of a headache the medicine does not work. So it is essential to follow these steps in the long run which may help.
- Biofeedback mechanism is a relaxation technique which helps in pain management.
- Stress management classes can teach you how to cope up with stress and changes the quality of life by reducing the headache.
- Cognitive behavioural therapy is a talk therapy that helps you to deal with anxious situations in life and helps you to recognize such a situation when you are restless
- Mild to moderate exercise: It can help you with releasing certain brain chemicals which acts as stress busters and help you to feel good about yourself
- Taking a hot shower or hot bath can help relax tense muscles
- Cold therapy or hot therapy. Applying heat pack and ice therapy for 5 – 10 minutes daily can help you with repeated attacks of headaches.
- Acupuncture is an alternative therapy which may help you to relieve stress and tension
- Coenzyme Q10 is a heart supplement but it is very effective in migraine.
- Magnesium is also a supplement which will help relieve the migraine attacks with tension headaches
- Vitamin b 12 is a perfect supplement for the nerves. This supplement helps treat facial neuralgia pain.
- Feverfew is a herb that is potentially used to treat migraines
- Avoid diet-related food triggers: Avoid foods that cause triggering of headaches like cheese, wine, food additives, dairy and wheat. Go gluten-free
- Avoid caffeine intake: Drinking six or more cups of coffee can lead to withdrawal symptoms of headaches.
- Sleep: getting enough sleep is very essential as a lack of sleep triggers a headache. Waking up refreshed in the morning is a good sign to relieve headaches throughout the day.
- Mind-body practices for headache prevention: Doing relaxation exercise like deep breathing yoga and meditation by focusing the mind on the body and imagining that each tense muscle is relaxing is a good technique to relieve tension headaches
- Considering manual therapies: Therapies including ayurvedic massage to relieve the tension which causes headache can be done as these have no side effects.
- Remove any pressure on the head: in case of the physical headache due to tight rubber band or pins or bandana can lead to headache
- Herbal tea: Having green tea with herbal extracts such as ginger will help in relieving headache in the long run
- Aromatherapy: Inhalation of essential oils like the lavender essential oil reduced the possibility of headache as it soothes the senses
- Ayurvedic and homoeopathic treatment: go for ayurvedic and homoeopathic treatment which is essential as it is the natural mode of treatment. A qualified professional doctor can prescribe you medicines for the same in cases of a long persistent headache.
Preventative therapy is done to relieve a headache if there are more than three episodes of headache in one month.
There are many medicines which can be used to treat headaches such as beta-blockers, calcium channel blockers, antidepressants, anti-seizure medications, medicines that help relieve constriction of the blood vessel. But these may cause the headache to reoccur if the underlying condition is not treated. Treat the cause and take some preventive therapy for headache is the right solution to avoid the side effects of the painkillers.