Table of Contents
Break free from the chains of headache 20 types of headache with preventative therapy for headache.
Learn the secrets to fast relief and strategies that can prevent tension headaches and migraines and more. Whether you are suffering from the tightness or tension headache or sinus inflammation or throbbing agony of migraines when headache pain attacks you want it gone and never want it back,
Headache is a very common condition that leads to pain in the head and scalp and causes discomfort. It can be mild but sometimes severe cases makes it difficult to concentrate on studies and work affecting the day-to-day daily activities.
Most of the headaches can be managed with medications and lifestyle changes. But sometimes it’s effective to gather the reasons for what causes headache to treat the roots rather than just popping pain killers to calm it for a few hours which is just gone to come back again.
A headache that is painful and reoccurs, again and again, can lead to disruption of normal life.
Headache can also cause various other problems by just popping painkillers in the long run which can be hazardous to life and cause various side effects that are potentially not the actual treatment for headaches. It is just a palliative mode of treatment.
Patients need to understand this in the long run as it can affect their quality of life. Many people experience headaches as part of their life. 50 % of adults experience pain in the head at least once a month
Causes of headache
The causes of headache are:
- Change in sleep pattern or lack of sleep
- Skipped meals
- Poor posture
- Glare: Brightness from computer screen or sunlight
- Noise: loud noise or repetitive sounds
- Physical activity may lead to exertional headaches.
- Hormonal imbalance
- Food sensitivity: for example caffeine, chocolate, alcohol, and cheese.
Symptoms of migraine headache
Reasons for headache
- Strenuous exercise
- Fruits & food
- lack of sleep
When to seek a doctor?
A headache may be a symptom of life-threatening conditions, such as meningitis, brain stroke, or encephalitis.
Visit a hospital emergency department or call your country emergency number (USA 911)
if you are suffering from the worst headache or these:
- Stiff neck
- Trouble seeing
- Trouble speaking
- High fever greater than 102 F to 104 F
- Numbness, weakness, or paralysis on one side of your body
Nausea or vomiting
20 TYPES OF HEADACHE
Let’s see the various types of headaches:
- Tension headache: Tension headaches are mainly due to stress that occurs due to tension that persists due to daily activities. Chronic daily headaches are the typical feature of tension headaches due to the stress of tension as the name suggests.
Mild to moderate headache across the forehead or back of the head for which the main cause is stress. Dull constant pain in the forehead across the head which is due to dehydration, lack of sleep, loud noise, skipped meals, and eye strain.
- Sinusitis headache: Inflammation of sinuses with recurrent runny noses may lead to this type of headache. It is a mild to moderate headache at the bridge of the nose or the cheeks with nasal congestion or postnasal drip.
- Cold headache: Frequent cold and cough may lead to headache which is characterized by a blocked stuffy nose with difficulty in breathing. Infectious air bone diseases might lead to fever which can cause body pains and headaches.
- Migraine headaches: Pain is localized to the temple eye back of the head with a characteristic one-sided headache that is difficult to deal with. Pain is accompanied by nausea, vomiting vertigo, and visual disturbance with sensitivity to light and noise
- Gastric headaches: Acidity along with gas or flatulence is one of the major causes of headaches that will lead to indigestion affecting the productivity of life. Taking care of your diet in such a case is essential.
- Cluster headache: Cluster headaches are severe recurrent headaches that last up to 15 minutes to 3 hours and occur more commonly during the day with several episodic attacks
- Exertional headache: Exertional headache is brought about by physical exercise such as running, jumping, weight lifting, bouts of coughing. These headaches are short-lived and may last for two days. Moderation is the key to exercise and these types of headaches
- Hypnic headache or alarm clock headaches: It is usually seen in elderly patients above the age of 50 with excessive throbbing pain in the head at night. The pain is so severe that they wake up in the middle of the night and hence called an alarm clock headache.
- Caffeine-related headaches: Heavy coffee consumption of more than 4 cups a day can lead to problems of headaches. Sudden withdrawal may cause a headache which can last for 2 weeks as you stop coffee abruptly.
- Fasting headache: Mild to moderate type of pulsating headache which is more common when one skips a meal or has irregular eating patterns. Symptoms strike before a meal time with hunger headaches prevalent when skipping a meal with low blood sugar and muscle tension.
- Head injury headaches: Headaches due to traumatic injury might lead to chronic and severe pain in the head. An MRI scan would give the perfect reason for such a traumatic injury resulting from the impact of the blow on the head.
- Menstrual headaches: Migraine type of headache that occurs before, during, or after the period of menstruation or at the mid-cycle which is the time of ovulation.
The main precipitating factor is changes in estrogen levels which may be the main cause of headaches. Headache is also seen during menopausal syndrome where the hormonal levels fluctuate leading to hot flushes and other symptoms of menopause.
- Hangover headaches: consuming too much alcohol can lead to hangover headaches. Symptoms go in 72 hours but it is importantly associated with nausea and vomiting due to excessive drinking with pain in both the temples aggravated by the slightest movement.
- Cervigenic headache; Cervical spondylosis headache may be due to degenerative changes in the spine and formation of bony spurs which may lead to compression of the nerve causing pain in the nape of the neck with vertigo and headache.
- Tic doulourex headache: Trigeminal neuralgia headache is jab like a headache that is triggered mainly due to facial pain where the trigeminal nerve is involved causing electric currents like pain which is radiating to the cheek and mandibular joint.
- Headaches due to medication: A headache may be a warning signal to increased blood pressure. Some medications for which illness the patient is being treated might cause a headache. Such patients suffering from cardiovascular problems may have a headache due to nitroglycerine which is essential for cardiac patients.
- Brain infection headache like encephalitis or meningitis. Any kind of inflammation or infection affecting the brain with high fever-causing headaches should be treated with a conventional line of treatment.
- Hemicrania continua – headaches that are persistently on one side only. It is more of a unilateral headache either left or right.
- Dental headaches: Structural problems with bones face and teeth. Radiating pain of the face along the tempo mandibular joint should be taken care of as it can be a dental pain that causes severe headaches.
- New daily persistent headache NDPH: This is more of a chronic headache. It is best described as a headache of fewer than three days which is of rapid development and unrelenting headache with no history.
Sensitive brain cells:
Despite how common they are, scientist doesn’t usually understand what causes headaches. But one theory that holds for people affected by migraine is that the brains of migraineurs are fundamentally more sensitive than that of normal people.
When people get migraines overexcitable brain cells create an electric wave that spreads across the brain. This electric wave causes the release of prostaglandins and serotonin that dilate the blood vessels and causes the killer headache.
You should be concerned about a headache when it’s persistent chronic and there are several episodes of the headaches. You should get medical help right away when there is dizziness or a sense of loss of balance with vomiting and vertigo or when you can’t move your body.
You need to see a doctor immediately if any of these signs occur or if you have the following symptoms as follows:
● A high temperature or fever
● Confusion or drowsiness
● Unsteadiness while walking
● Blurred vision
● Stiff neck
● A head injury like a concussion
● Wakes up because of headache
● Several episodes of a painful headache
● Headache with vomiting
● Headache that disrupts home school and social life and work
● A chronic headache that doesn’t get better with treatment.
Everybody is different. Listen to your body. It’s smarter than you think. Knowing what works for you can help in avoiding headaches in the future. Experiment and see what works for you.
Rebound headaches are those headaches that occur after the patient stops taking the medications which they use to take to earlier treat the headache like some painkiller.
Such a headache creates a vicious cycle that is very difficult for the patient to break and to get rid of the headache. Firstly understanding the cause and the type of headache is essential to treat and follow up various steps of prevention with care.
PREVENTIVE THERAPY FOR HEADACHE 20 Prevention steps to be taken for headache
Treatment of headaches varies according to the cause. If headaches are being caused by illness then it’s likely to go away once the underlying condition is treated.
However, most headaches are severe and can be treated with over-the-counter painkillers. However, consuming too many painkillers is not a solution to headaches as it may lead to various side effects. There is a possibility that in case of a headache the medicine does not work. So it is essential to follow these steps in the long run which may help.
- The biofeedback mechanism is a relaxation technique that helps in pain management.
- Stress management classes can teach you how to cope up with stress and changes the quality of life by reducing headache.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy is talk therapy that helps you to deal with anxious situations in life and helps you to recognize such a situation when you are restless
- Mild to moderate exercise: It can help you with releasing certain brain chemicals which acts as stress busters and help you to feel good about yourself
- Taking a hot shower or hot bath can help relax tense muscles
- Cold therapy or hot therapy. Applying heat packs and ice therapy for 5 – 10 minutes daily can help you with repeated attacks of headaches.
- Acupuncture is an alternative therapy that may help you to relieve stress and tension
- Coenzyme Q10 is a heart supplement but it is very effective in migraines.
- Magnesium is also a supplement that will help relieve migraine attacks with tension headaches
- Vitamin b 12 is a perfect supplement for the nerves. This supplement helps treat facial neuralgia pain.
- Feverfew is a herb that is potentially used to treat migraines
- Avoid diet-related food triggers: Avoid foods that cause triggering of headaches like cheese, wine, food additives, dairy, and wheat. Go gluten-free
- Avoid caffeine intake: Drinking six or more cups of coffee can lead to withdrawal symptoms of headaches.
- Sleep: getting enough sleep is very essential as a lack of sleep triggers a headache. Waking up refreshed in the morning is a good sign to relieve headaches throughout the day.
- Mind-body practices for headache prevention: Doing relaxation exercises like deep breathing yoga and meditation by focusing the mind on the body and imagining that each tense muscle is relaxing is a good technique to relieve tension headaches
- Considering manual therapies: Therapies including ayurvedic massage to relieve the tension which causes headaches can be done as these have no side effects.
- Remove any pressure on the head: in case of the physical headache due to tight rubber band or pins or bandana can lead to headache
- Herbal tea: Having green tea with herbal extracts such as ginger will help in relieving headaches in the long run
- Aromatherapy: Inhalation of essential oils like the lavender essential oil reduced the possibility of headache as it soothes the senses
- Ayurvedic and homeopathic treatment: go for ayurvedic and homeopathic treatment which is essential as it is the natural mode of treatment. A qualified professional doctor can prescribe you medicines for the same in cases of a long persistent headache.
Preventative therapy is done to relieve a headache if there are more than three episodes of headache in one month.
Many medicines can be used to treat headaches such as beta-blockers, calcium channel blockers, antidepressants, anti-seizure medications, medicines that help relieve constriction of the blood vessel.
But these may cause the headache to reoccur if the underlying condition is not treated. Treating the cause and taking some preventive therapy for headaches is the right solution to avoid the side effects of the painkillers.
Applying warm wheat bags over the neck
A warm wheat bag is the best thing to ease headaches fast. The use of a wheat bag warms up. It helps headache relief by increasing the circulation of blood and relaxes the nerves to the neck, reducing stress.
Gentle neck stretching
Making some stretches over the neck reduces a headache because, through stretching nerves, the muscles of the head are relaxed. This is one of the necessary steps on how to get rid of headaches naturally as well as ease pain.
Drinking hot green tea
Drinking hot green tea is the best remedy for headaches. Green tea increases blood flow and relaxation. Green tea also has antioxidants properties that help reduce inflammation of the brain, muscle, and neck tissues around the skull.
If you suffer from a migraine drinking hot green tea is one of the common ways on how to get rid of headaches naturally that will provide relief from pain since migraines are usually do cause by the spasm of blood vessels in the brain so this green tea relaxes the blood vessel thus reducing migraine headache effectively.
Take a warm shower
T an excellent way to relax the whole body. Taking a warm bath will distress the body helping the upper part and the head to function at their best; this as well loosens the joints in the neck, causing headaches.
Massage head and neck
Practitioners are using gentle massages on the head and the neck to treat all kinds of head symptoms. Through massage ligaments, nerves, joints, and muscles are relaxing that helps relieve the pain of a headache. Massage is a way on how to get rid of problems naturally acts as a sort of distraction for you not to think about your pain in the head.
This is one of the best ways on how to get rid of headaches naturally because walking is sufficient to ease headache pain. Through walking the amount of your happy natural painkillers known as endorphins increase.
These endorphins are released usually from the body if you do walking because it is the best exercise that releases endorphins putting only less stress physically on the body and also an effective way to release endorphins.
Pleasant fragrances and soothing aromas have healing capabilities. They can heal your body and make you feel fresh and blessed. Similarly, in the case of headaches, different fragrances have been found useful.
That is the reason why aromatherapy has been regarded as one of the most effective home remedies for headaches. There are different types of candles, ointments, soaps, and sticks with varied kinds of fragrances like sandalwood, lavender, eucalyptus, and peppermint. As per your choice and the degree of effectiveness, you can choose the best one for you and enrich its effectiveness.
It has been noticed that sleeping in the wrong posture, waking up abruptly, not sleeping on time, overworking, and improperly doing things lead to headaches. So, for ensuring that you aren’t feeling ill because of a headache, amend the way you accomplish your daily chores and bring a positive change to your lifestyle.
Aside from the mentioned ways on how to get rid of headaches naturally, there are lots of ways you can try on as long as you know, they are very effective in treating headaches.
If you do not have any more ideas on how to get rid of headaches naturally, then use the web to search for more ways you can use in case you encounter headaches.
By applying these natural cures for treating a headache, one can get rid of it within a short period. Natural headache remedies are 100 times better and harmless than medicines and drugs consumed for the same purpose.
These cures can very effectively cure headaches like tension headaches. Because these remedies are available naturally, are inexpensive, and have no side effects on the sufferer, these are indeed the most pleasant way of treating a headache.
Cinnamon is one of the best home remedies for headaches if you are suffering from headaches due to your exposure to the cold weather, cinnamon is an excellent home remedy for you. You can mix some cinnamon powder in some water until it forms a fine paste. Now you should apply this paste on both your temples and forehead to get relief from head pam.
Rosemary is another useful home remedy for headache relief. You should boil some herb in a quart or liter of water and put this mixture in a deep bowl or mug. Now cover your head with a towel and inhale the steam from this mixture as long as possible.
You should repeat this until you feel your headache is improving. Rosemary, as a herb has a calming effect. You can also drink rosemary tea for relief from headaches caused due to stress.
Vegetable Juice Treatment
Spinach juice and carrot juice can be combined to fight migraines. About 200ml of spinach juice and 300ml of carrot juice can be mixed and sipped from time to time.
You should put some coriander seeds into some boiling water and inhale its
fragment steam to get relief from headaches caused by sinus problems.
Peppermint is widely used for centuries for severe soothing headaches. You can use this herb in many ways. You can get relief by drinking its tea, using a peppermint extract, or its essential oil for a head massage.
Garlic and Ginger
Garlic has pleasant headache allaying properties. Its juice, when applied to the forehead, acts as a painkiller and helps in alleviating the pain. Ginger also has an analgesic effect and is used for treating headaches.
A cold compress for your head, cleansing enema with hot water, and hot fomentation provide instant relief from all types of headaches that are caused by liver or stomach upsets and are some of the best and effective remedies for a headache.
You can get lasting relief from persistent headaches by eating ripe apples by sprinkling them with some salt.
Lemon juice that is mixed with tea (lemon tea) provides quick relief from headaches and is one of the most accessible home remedies for headaches use. The rind of lemon helps in relieving headaches that are caused by heat. You should apply the fine paste of lemon rind on your temples or forehead to get instant relief from headaches.
This bath is helpful in chronic headache treatment. You should keep your feet dipped in a tub that is filled with lukewarm water for about twenty minutes before going to sleep for treating your headaches effectively.