Paranoychia or onychomycosis are most often seen in toenail fungus infections. Although a mild infection in the early stages may cause little to no discomfort, with the only visible symptoms being toenail discoloration, black or thick toenails and crumbling of the nails it is absolutely essential for you to begin toenail fungus treatment immediately.
The treatment of toenail fungus with tea tree oil or toenail fungus home remedies can help significantly in these early stages but these home remedies are no substitute for medical treatment as the results vary greatly. For an effective toenail fungus cure it would be best to employ a combination of medical treatments and toenail fungus home remedies.
Fungal infections are common on both fingernails and toenails. Toenail fungus also known as onychomycosis is caused by a group of fungus called dermatophytes. These fungus are harmful because as they grow they feed on the keratin that makes up the surface of the toe nail. The two fingers that are more likely to be affected are the big toe and the little toe.
The big toe and the little toe are in fact the most susceptible to paronychia, which is an infection of the soft tissue around the nail. Toenail fungus causes disfiguration and discoloration of the nails. It is a contagious disease and some times it may be hereditary. Paronychia and onycholysis are common toenail problems and may require medical assistance if they have been neglected.
Some of the popular treatments involve treating the condition with black toenail fungus home remedies like bleach and hydrogen peroxide. The use of bleach for toenail fungus is quite popular as a foot fungus remedy. The use of baking soda for toenail fungus or fingernail fungus and skin fungus is also very popular and there are plenty of nail fungus baking soda remedies.
The best home remedies for toenail fungus treatment are also not a sure bet however as there are no instant or fast home remedies for toenail fungus. If for some reason you cannot seek medical attention and toenail fungus home treatments are necessary then it would be best to try nail fungus treatment with over the counter nail fungus medications and applications. Nutritional Supplements for toenail fungus natural cure
- Acidophilus supplements replenish the “friendly” bacteria that inhibit pathogens such as fungi. Take 1 teaspoon of acidophilus powder or two capsules on an empty stomach twice a day.
- Take a multivitamin that includes the B vitamins and vitamins A and E daily.
- Vitamin C increases immunity against fungi. Take 3,000 milligrams of vitamin C with bioflavonoids daily.
- Zinc increases immunity, inhibits fungi, and helps to heal skin tissue. Take 50 milligrams daily, with food.
- Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) is a good source of sulfur, which is believed to fight fungi. It is now available in cream or spray form to apply topically to affected areas.Home remedies
1. Apple-cider vinegar applied to a washcloth can be rubbed between your toes to relieve the itch and remove scales and dead skin.
2. Calendula cream, ointment, or tincture diluted in warm water has anti- fungal, astringent, and healing properties, and can be used two to three times a day.
3. Drinking a cup of chamomile tea three times a day, and also applying the tea directly to the affected area with a cotton ball three times a day, should help.
4. Garlic extract is one of the best herbal antifungals. Take 6 teaspoonfuls each day. In addition, you can put raw garlic in a blender and apply it to the rash three times a day with a cotton ball. Dust your feet and shoes with garlic powder daily. Garlic’s antifungal properties have been documented by clinical studies, which show that people taking garlic have blood serum levels with significant antifungal activity.
5. Ginger tea, made from 2 ounces of fresh ginger root simmered in 8 ounces of water for twenty minutes, contains more than twenty different antifungal compounds. Drink a cup of ginger tea three times a day. You can also make compresses by soaking cotton in the tea and apply them to the affected area for five minutes three times a day
6. Goldenseal is a good antifungal agent. Add 5 drops of the tincture to juice and drink it three times a day. Or simmer 6 teaspoons of the dried herb in a cup of water for twenty minutes to make tea. Strain out the herbal matter and apply the tea to the rash with a fresh cotton ball three times a day
7. Drink a cup of lemongrass tea three times a day and also apply the used tea bags to the affected area. This should help toe nail fungus to clear faster.
8. Olive leaf extract has antifungal properties and helps to fortify the immune system. Take 250 milligrams three times a day.
9. Pau d’arco tea may be sipped three times a day to increase the body’s immunity and enhance lymphatic drainage.
10. A mixture of 2 tablespoons of pau d’arco tincture, 4 teaspoon each of tea tree and lavender tincture, 1/8 teaspoon of peppermint tincture, and 4 ounces of vinegar can be added to enough warm water to make a healing foot bath. Use this treatment three times a day, drying the feet thoroughly afterward.
11. Turmeric oil, diluted with two parts water to one part turmeric oil, can be applied to the affected area with a cotton ball three times a day to speed healing of your fungal infection. Additionally, you can take 300 milligrams of turmeric extract orally three times a day.
12. Some commercial antifungal lotions combine herbals with pharmaceuticals to get the benefits of both. Also, mixtures of antifungal herbs work synergistically, or much better, than single herbs. One such product combines tolnaftate, myrrh, tea tree oil, aloe vera, calendula, rosemary, and thyme. Aromatherapy for toenail fungus
1. Add 10 drops of tea tree oil to a pan of warm water to make a therapeutic foot soak. Soak your feet for twenty minutes three times a day. Dry your feet completely afterward. You can then apply a few drops of oil directly to the rash. If you find it irritating, dilute it with
an equal amount of vegetable oil. You can also paint tea tree oil on affected toenails twice a day to keep the fungus at bay. Remember never to drink this oil.
2. Myrrh, which has antifungal and astringent properties, can also be made into a footwash.
3. Add 10 drops of myrrh oil or 1 milliliter of tincture of myrrh to a pan of warm water.
4. Soak your feet for twenty minutes three times a day. Dry your feet completely afterward.
5. Caution: Do not use myrrh during pregnancy.
Homeopathy remedies for toenail fungus
1. Silica is the mainstay of homeopathic treatment for toe nail fungus. It is
particularly good if you have cracks between your toes and are producing lots of smelly sweat. Take it as recommended by the manufacturer.
2. Rub a few drops of homeopathic Thuja directly on the affected area twice a day.
Toenail fungus remedies using acupressure
1. Apply slight pressure for ten seconds at the base of the little toe where it joins the fourth toe. Repeat this three times twice a day
Other therapies for toenail fungus
2. Ultraviolet light, in the form of a heat lamp or sunbathing, helps to dry up the fungus.
General recommendations for toenail fungus
1. Wash your feet twice a day, then dry them completely, using a new towel each time.
2. Wear white, 100-percent cotton socks and change them at least daily so that they stay dry. Wash your socks in chlorine bleach to prevent re-infection.
3. Place cotton balls in the webs between your toes to keep them open and dry.
4. Wear open sandals whenever possible to allow air to circulate between your toes.
5. Air out your shoes and sprinkle a powder containing an antifungal such as tolnaftate (Aftate, NP-27, Tinactin, Ting, Zeasorb-AF) inside them during flare-ups and afterward, to prevent recurrences.
6. Wear shoes when walking in gyms or pool locker rooms.
7. Do not share your socks or shoes with anyone.
8. Do not scratch your feet. This can only spread the fungal infection and increase the risk of a secondary infection.
9. Home remedies for nail fungus may not offer any sure cures for toenail fungus, but they do remain popular because of the convenience they offer and mainly because of the high costs of health care. While you may find plenty of toenail fungus home remedies blogs that promise quick solutions and effective cures most of them are not very honest.
Home remedies for discolored toenails and fungal infections can have varied effects among different individuals and in most cases are ineffective. Even the best treatments would not work instantly and so there would be no way of knowing the effectiveness of the treatment for a while. If the remedies you use do prove to be ineffective which they generally do, you would have wasted a great deal of time, enabling the infection to grow even stronger.
Author: Dr Izharul Hasan Encyclopedia of Home remedies for better life