Many things in our home and garden tend to get rusted over a period of time and due to exposure to the elements. In this situation, instead of throwing things away, it is better to get rid of the rust on them and use them again.
There are many rust removers available in the market, but most of them make use of harmful chemicals that are not good for your skin. Instead of these regular rust cleaning liquids and chemicals, you can use natural things which often include the items found in your refrigerator or kitchen cupboard.
These ingredients are quite effective in removing rust and rejuvenating the rusted items in your home or garden. Let us look at 5 natural ways to remove rust.
Natural Ways To Remove Rust
1. Lime Juice With Salt
Sprinkle some salt on the rusty object and if it is a large item use a cloth to rub the salt in. Follow the salt with a lot of lime juice. The salt should be enough so that it does not completely dissolve in the lime juice.
After a few hours take a scrubbing cloth or brush and brush away the solution and the rust along with it. Remember to remove all remnants of the solution from the item because the lime and salt can eat into the metal and corrode it. This is one of the 5 natural ways to remove rust.
White Vinegar is something that can be easily found in your kitchen cupboard. Vinegar is good for a lot of things including rust. Put the rusty item into a bowl of vinegar which has been diluted a little with water.
This method is great for small items that can be put into the bowl at the same time. Within a few minutes, the rust will start flaking away. However, the time taken will depend on how rusty the item is and how long the rust has been on the item.
3. Lemon Juice And Cream Of Tartar
This is one of the 5 natural ways to remove rust and is especially suited for stainless steel items.
- Take a washcloth and mix some lemon juice and cream of tartar into it.
- The lemon contains citric acid and when added to the cream of tartar it becomes abrasive.
4. Baking Soda
This is another way of removing rust naturally.
- Mix baking soda with water to make a thick paste
- Apply this paste to the rusty object.
- Leave it on for a few hours.
- later scrub it off with a scrubbing brush.
- The rust will loosen and come off along with the dried paste.
5. Tamarind Water
- Boil some ripe tamarind in water
- apply this water to the rusted item with a washcloth.
- Leave it on for a few hours and later scrub off the solution with a cloth.
- You may have to wash and dry the item to remove the remnants of the tamarind water.
Doing this is necessary because tamarind water is acidic and may cause the metal to corrode. This is one of the 5 natural ways to remove rust, especially from brass and copper items.