FIBROMYALGIA SYNDROME (Chronic Muscle Pain Syndrome Fibromyositis, Fibrositis, Tension Myalgia)
SYMPTOMS of fibromyalgia
Anxiety, depression, tension, fatigue, chronic muscle aches and pain, joint swelling, headaches (sometimes migraine), irritable bowels, sleep disturbances, and stiffness.
The pain is described as burning, throbbing, shooting, and stabbing. Pain and stiffness are greatest in the morning.
Depression appears to be a key factor. Other symptoms include menstrual problems, palpitations, memory impairment, dizziness, dry eyes and mouth, frequent changes in eyeglasses, and impaired coordination.
Lifting or climbing stairs seems hard to do.
The existence of "tender points" is a distinctive symptom (see below).
CAUSES of fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia is more of a set of symptoms than a disease, and it is primarily caused by stress. Women have it more often than men.
Often mistaken for arthritis, rheumatism, or Epstein-Barr syndrome, fibromyalgia causes the muscles and joints to tighten up when under stress. The emotions have a powerful effect on the body.
Those experiencing this problem frequently have a shallow sleep. Muscle spasms and pain in various places may occur at night (or during the day).
Then there are the so-called "tender points." These symptoms are unique to this disease, unlike any other disease. There are 9 pairs of specific points where muscles are especially sensitive to the touch. Here are those 9 locations:
In muscles at the base of skull, neck, upper back, or mid-back. On the side of the elbow, around the lower vertebra of the neck, at the insertion of the second rib, in the upper and outer muscles of the buttocks, around the upper part of the thigh bone, at the middle of the knee joint.
Those with fibromyalgia experience so many sleep problems (apnea, bruxism, restless leg syndrome, etc.), that they often have chronic fatigue.
The symptoms often begin in young adulthood, develop gradually, and slowly increase in intensity until many become incapacitated by the problem.
Sometimes the syndrome disappears; other times it is chronic; and, in some cases, it comes back in recurring flare-ups.The cause is not really known, but the chronic depression of spirits seems to be involved.
fibromyalgia natural treatment diet
- Maintain a well-balanced diet.
- Do not drink coffee, tea, cola drinks, chocolate, or take pain relievers. Avoid all types of drugs; they only add to your problems. If any of these have been part of your diet, the symptoms may worsen for a time when you drop them, but persevere, and you will feel better for having done so.
- Do not eat meat, dairy products, white flour products, processed food, or any food high in saturated fats.
- Avoid wheat and brewer's yeast until your symptoms fade.
- Poor absorption of food is involved with this problem; so eat slowly of good nourishing food, and chew it well. Be sure to take vitamin/mineral supplementation. Magnesium is important.
- Drink plenty of liquids, including quality water.
- Food and chemical allergies can be involved. Try to search out yours and avoid them.
- Learn to rest and be relaxed. Be able to relax after the work. Go out and walk in the fresh air, and thank God for your blessings. Indeed, count them all, one by one, and thank Him for them all.
- Determine what your problems are and solve them, know you are working toward solving them or learn to live with them and no longer be bothered by them.
- A fair amount of muscular activity helps relax a person mentally and emotionally. Enjoy out-of-door activities, such as gardening or raising flowers. You need a regular amount of regular daily exercise, not a hard workout every so many day. Building up such a regular exercise program will do much to alleviate the problem.
- Take a hot and cold shower each morning, to stimulate circulation and help reduce morning stiffness. Cold showers are actually better than hot ones for reducing fibromyalgia pains.
- Helpful herbs include comfrey, alfalfa, hop, skullcap, white willow bark, and valerian.
- Physicians prescribe antidepressants for fibromyalgia. These can cause side effects which are not helpful.
Also, Read Home-remedy-for-diarrhea-and-dysentery