(Last Updated On: April 21, 2020)Hair transplantation is a surgical technique that allows a bald area of the scalp to be repopulated with healthy hair. We tell you how the process is, what care it requires and when the results are noticeable.
How the hair transplant is done
- What is hair transplant
- When to do a hair transplant
- How the hair transplant is done
- Hair transplant in Ahmedabad
- Care, results, and complications of a hair transplant
The first preliminary step in preparing for a hair graft is to wash your hair with a special shampoo the day before transplant to thoroughly disinfect your hair and scalp. Then you must fast for at least six hours before the intervention if it is the next morning, a light dinner and not having breakfast will suffice. It is not necessary to take any previous medication at home. You must inform the doctor of all the medicines that are usually taken and he will decide which ones to stop or keep. You should not take medications that hinder blood clotting the previous days (such as aspirin or ibuprofen) you should also tell the doctor.
You should bear in mind that the intervention lasts approximately 5-6 hours. You will probably need to reserve an entire morning or afternoon for them to do it for you. Despite its long duration, it is a simple technique, but the processing of follicular units usually takes a long time. A hair transplant does not require admission. It is performed on an outpatient basis, so you enter and leave the clinic on your own feet and the same day. It will only be necessary to carry out a blood test a few days before the transplant to verify that you do not have major diseases.
It is recommended to bring a companion. For transplantation, local anesthesia and an oral anxiolytic are used so that you are comfortable and calm throughout the intervention. However, it is normal that afterward you may find yourself slightly stunned and prefer not to drive or go home alone. Usually, the doctor who performs the transplant will have all the documentation with him. This documentation must include your medical history, your type of alopecia, its evolution and if you have used any previous treatment. Before submitting to the intervention, you will sign the informed consent with which you accept the procedure and you will know the possible risks.
When you arrive at the clinic they will ask you to change your clothes for a comfortable gown that is suitable for the operating room. Before starting the intervention you will take a dose of antibiotics and an anxiolytic to be relaxed throughout the transplant. You will enter the operating room walking and you will be placed in a comfortable position to begin the operation.
Hair Transplant Procedure: Techniques to Extract Hair
The first part will consist of extracting the hair from an area respected by alopecia, usually the nape of the neck so you will be placed slightly upside down. The ideal area to extract follicles will be selected and shaved with an electric machine, leaving a minimum length of 1 millimeter. Once in place, they will anesthetize the neck area with a fine needle, you will notice a slight stinging for a few seconds.
After Anesthesia there are Two Ways to Remove the Follicles:
- The technique of the strip or FUSS (Follicular Unit Strip Surgery): it consists of taking a strip of skin from the scalp with all its hair. With this technique, hundreds of hair follicles are suddenly obtained and no shaved area is left behind. The scar is not visible, except if you decide to shave the head in the future. After removing the strip, a team of professionals divide the follicles one by one and divide them according to the number of hairs they contain (1, 2, 3, etc.).
- FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) technique: consists of extracting the hair follicles from the nape one by one with a very precise millimeter instrument. The technique is more laborious than the strip and does not leave scars if the maximum number of follicles that can be removed is respected. A more or less wide shaved area is left on the nape of the neck that will take a few days to grow back.
- Robotic technique: it consists of an FUE technique assisted by a robot that allows the extraction of follicular units in a faster way.
Once the follicles have been extracted and divided according to the number of hairs they contain, they will be implanted in the alopecia area. The follicles with the most hairs, 3 or 4, will be placed in the area desired for the most capillary density, the follicles with 2 hairs in the transition zone and the follicles with a single hair are placed at the starting line of the hair (the implantation line).
To implant them, tumescent anesthesia will be used, this consists of injecting a large volume of liquid under the scalp and thus millimeter incisions are made that are distended and leave the passage to the follicles that are delicately placed with one-millimeter forceps one by one. The work is very laborious and takes up most of the procedure.