What is dandruff?
Dandruff is mostly a result of a dry scalp or a skin condition called seborrheic dermatitis. Other causes may also include eczema, psoriasis, or even an overgrowth of a yeast-like fungus called Malassezia. There are tons of shampoo brands promoting their anti-dandruff shampoo in the US market.
Well, there’s one thing you should keep in mind – you may like various brands of such shampoos because of the smell, effect, or even the model endorsing the brand, but the truth is that in a long run, they potentially cause problems like weak hair roots and split ends.
Causes of hair scalp dandruff
- Air pollution
- Head and dry hair
- Alkaline shampoos
- An unbalanced diet
- not shampooing enough
- Oily skin
- Dry skin
- Brushing your hair regularly
Dandruff Happens Due to Dry Skin
Many people are having dry skin and dry skin is more prone to have dandruff. It is also seen that cold-weather air also causes itchy and flaking skin. It happens when the skin usually gets drier than usual.
Not Maintain the Hair Care Properly
When you maintain your hair properly then dandruff doesn’t happen. Dandruff happens when you brush your hair improperly and not cleans the comb then over time you will experience dandruff.
Whenever you comb your hair then you are removing the dead cells from the hair. Not proper combing for a certain period eventually develops dandruff and increases the dead skin cells on the scalp.
Not Doing Shampoo
Not doing shampooing properly increase the dead skin cells and accumulate oil on the scalp and causes dandruff.
Stress is the reason behind hair loss and it’s seen that being constantly stressed increase the chances of skin problem. Many researchers believe that the high level of stress creates a problem in the immune system which normally affects the physical and mental balance. The development of dandruff starts from here.
There are cases where the dandruff is itchy, it happens where the stress can “perpetuate an itch-scratch cycle” i.e. when any person scratches at their scalp, the itching becomes more. And many other complications face social and self-esteem problems.
Certain diseases like heart diseases, Parkinson’s disease, and poor immunity are the causes behind the development of dandruff.
Yeast is a fungus that is present in the atmosphere. Some people face years of allergy and this is the known problem for dandruff.
When you are exposed to a certain type of things like soap, jewelry, cosmetic products, fragrances, etc. Then this can develop dandruff and increase the reaction on the scalp. Sometimes people who use sprays and gel on the hair suffer from dandruff. This happens when the skin is sensitive and many harsh chemicals are there which increases the problem.
Diet is also the reason behind dandruff as it increases the chances of poor immunity in the body. Consuming enough foods that contain nutrients like zinc, B vitamins, and proteins.
how to get rid of dandruff at home permanently
- Get your hair wet and massage a bit of baking soda right into the scalp.
- Doing this each time you have a hair wash, but just using baking soda and no shampoo does wonder.
- Hair may become overly dry to start with. But later on in a couple of weeks, the scalp will start
- making natural oils, making your hair even softer, and no more flakes.
- Wash your hairs, and rub a handful of baking soda into your scalp.
- Rinse your hairs. Baking soda reduces dandruff-causing fungi to a considerable level.
- This prevents your hairs from becoming a home for these dandruff-causing agents.
- Your hair may get dried out at first, but after a few weeks, your scalp will start producing natural oils.
- This would make your hair softer and healthier.
- Make sure that you do it not more than once a week.
Almond and Olive
- By rubbing a couple of tbs of lemon juice right into the scalp and rinsing with water you can eliminate dandruff.
- Mix just one tsp of lemon juice into a cup of water and then wash your hair using the mix.
- Repeat this activity each day or till dandruff goes away.
- The itchy scalp will dissipate, and your hair will again smell fresh.
Tea Tree Oil
- Now wash your head thoroughly.
- It would not only remove existing dandruff but also prevent this problem in the future.
- You can use it once a week.
- Tea tree oil is a herb that will help in the treatment of your dandruff problem.
- You just have to apply it to your scalp or mix it with your shampoo for relief from dandruff.
Another effective home remedy treatment involves using vinegar.
- Mix about 2 spoons of vinegar with 6 spoons of water and apply this to the scalp using cotton swabs, before sleeping.
- Wash your hair thoroughly the next morning, and rinse with vinegar water.
- This should be repeated once a week for 3 months for optimum relief from dandruff.
- The acidity of apple cider vinegar changes the pH of your scalp.
- This makes it harder for the yeast to grow.
- Take a quarter cup apple cider vinegar along with a quarter cup of water in a spray bottle used in a salon.
- Now just spritz on your scalp.
- Then gist wraps your head in a towel.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes to an hour. Then, wash your hair as usual.
- You should try this twice a week.
Recommended Read: DIY Treatments for Dandruff
Massage 3-5 tablespoons of coconut oil into your scalp. Let it sit for about half an hour or so. After that, just shampoo with any one of the natural methods. You can also look for a natural shampoo that already contains coconut oil.
- Open your refrigerator, and grab some lemons.
- You need to massage 2 tablespoons of lemon juice into your scalp.
- Then, rinse your hair.
- Then, for conditioning, stir 1 teaspoon lemon juice into 1 cup water.
- Rinse it thoroughly and then dry them.
- This method can be used every day.
- Try using it regularly until and unless dandruff leaves your scalp.
- The reason behind the benefits of this method is the acidity of lemon that balances the pH level of your scalp.
- This easily keeps out dandruff.
Just grab a saltshaker. Shake some salt onto your dry scalp. After that, just give your scalp a massage. You’ll see that you’ve worked out the dry, flaky skin and are ready for a shampoo. Well, just use any of the aforementioned natural DIY shampoos to wash your hair. This remedy is for the removal of preexisting dandruff and can be called a pre-shampoo.
Treatments for Dandruff
To treat dandruff you need to consult with a hair-related doctor. Now a day’s many people are consulting doctor who is known for Hair Transplant in India as they are recommended by the various organization like ABHRS, ISHRS, and AAHRS.
Some common treatment recommends by experts are:
Doctors recommended using a mild shampoo. As there is a various option available in anti-dandruff but picking the right one is a hard job. This can be advised by experts. A mild anti-dandruff shampoo not only removes the flakes but also helps to restore the natural thick hair.
Curd and Lemon
This is not recommended by experts and it is used by many people who are getting the benefit of it. Both lemon and curd are known for the cure of dandruff. Just add a few drops of lemon juice into the curd and apply that mixture to the scalp.
Just leave this for an hour and wash the scalp with water. Try to repeat this method twice a day.
Some Other Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dandruff
Apple cider vinegar
This can reduce the yeast to grow on the scalp. Just mix a quarter cup of apple cider vinegar with water and spray it on the scalp. For better result must-do for a week.
Apply Coconut oil
Coconut oil is a “tried and true” dandruff treatment, and it smells nice too. Before showering, massage 3-5 tablespoons of coconut oil into your scalp and allow it to sit for about an hour. Shampoo normally. You can also look for a shampoo that already contains coconut oil.
Use Lemon Juice
Lemon is good for the scalp and well work for dandruff. To get rid of dandruff, massage your scalp with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and rinse with water. Lemon can balance the pH level of the scalp and make hair stronger.
Apply Baking soda
Some everyday ingredients you use in your kitchen such as baking soda may hold the key to an itch-free, flake-free scalp. Wet your hair and then rub a handful of baking soda vigorously into your scalp and rinse after a few minutes.
To reduce the overactive fungus on the scalp, use baking soda. The first few days’ hairs get dried up and after few days of using your scalp start naturally producing natural oils which keep the scalp free from flakes.
Prevention of Dandruff
hair dye and different products many times contain some chemical which can irritate sensitive
scalp skin. thus lead to contact dermatitis. fragrances are the most common causes
of contact dermatitis on your hair scalp.
Some of the Products are listed below
- Natural or artificial fragrance
Best foods for Dandruff