6 natural home remedies to deal with dandruff
Dandruff is mostly a result of a dry scalp or a skin condition called seborrheic dermatitis. Other causes may also include eczema, psoriasis, or even an overgrowth of a yeast-like a fungus called Malassezia. There are tons of shampoo brands promoting their anti-dandruff shampoo in the US market. Well, there’s one thing you should keep in mind – you may like various brands of such shampoos because of the smell, effect or even the model endorsing the brand, but the truth is that in a long run, they potentially cause problems like weak hair roots and split ends.
Well, here are some natural products that are more effective than anti-dandruff shampoos and are free of side-effects:
- Tea-tree oil- While planning to wash your hairs, just add a few drops of tea-tree oil to water. Now wash your head thoroughly. It would not only remove existing dandruff but also prevent this problem in the future. You can use it once a week.
- Baking soda-Wash your hairs, and rub a handful of baking soda into your scalp. Rinse your hairs. Baking soda reduces dandruff causing fungi to a considerable level. This prevents your hairs from becoming a home for these dandruff causing agents. Your hair may get dried out at first, but after a few weeks, your scalp will start producing natural oils. This would make your hair softer and healthier. Make sure that you do it not more than once a week.
- Apple cider vinegar– The acidity of apple cider vinegar changes the pH of your scalp. This makes it harder for the yeast to grow. Take a quarter cup apple cider vinegar along with a quarter cup water in a spray bottle used in a salon. Now just spritz on your scalp. Then gist wraps your head in a towel. Let it sit for 15 minutes to an hour. Then, wash your hair as usual. You should try this twice a week.
Recommended Read: DIY Treatments for Dandruff
- Coconut oil– Massage 3-5 tablespoons of coconut oil into your scalp. Let it sit for about half an hour or so. After that, just shampoo with any one of the natural methods. You can also look for a natural shampoo that already contains coconut oil.
- Lemon– Open your refrigerator, and grab some lemons. You need to massage 2 tablespoons lemon juice into your scalp. Then, rinse your hairs. Then, for conditioning, stir 1 teaspoon lemon juice into 1 cup water. Rinse it thoroughly and then dry them. This method can be used every day. Try using it regularly until and unless dandruff leaves your scalp. The reason behind the benefits of this method is the acidity of lemon that balances the pH level of your scalp. This easily keeps out dandruff.
- Table salt- Just grab a saltshaker. Shake some salt onto your dry scalp. After that, just give your scalp a message. You’ll see that you’ve worked out the dry, flaky skin and are ready for a shampoo. Well, just use any of the aforementioned natural DIY shampoos to wash your hair. This remedy is for removal of preexisting dandruff and can be called a pre-shampoo.