(Last Updated On: March 15, 2021)
The ABCs of lip flips for achieving fuller lips
A lip flip is a quick and in-office cosmetic procedure that is meant to last for 10 to 20 minutes. It involves injecting Botox into the bow which is into the corners of your mouth and the middle of your upper lip. The injection relaxes muscles around the lips and causes the part of your upper lip inside your mouth to “flip” upward and outward thus providing a fuller appearance.
Who is the right candidate for the procedure?
People who are looking for a lip flip procedure should include the ones who:
- want to attain fuller lips without using a dermal filler
- believe their upper lip “disappears” while smiling
- want their smile to become less gummy
What is the difference between lip flip and dermal filler?
Lip flips and dermal fillers can give you fuller-looking lips however, the methods differ from each other. Lip flips will appear to make your lips plumper while dermal fillers make the lips fuller. A medical professional will be injecting your lips with a substance that is made of hyaluronic acid which gives your skin structure a hydrated look.
On the other hand, lip flips use a small amount of Botox for relaxing muscles that are around the upper lip so that it turns in an upward direction. This makes your lips appear fuller but its actual volume won’t increase; it is only rearranged. If you want to change the volume and shape of your lips, dermal fillers or lip implants might be a great option.
What is the lip flip procedure?
Before the procedure
Before the procedure for at least 3 to 4 days, you should not drink alcohol and blood thinners like aspirin that makes the swelling worse.
During the procedure
There are certain things to know about the lip flip procedure:
- It should take nearly 10 minutes.
- The doctor will not numb your lips beforehand as the procedure is not that painful.
- The doctor will inject Botox at the center and corners of your upper lip.
After the procedure
Here are some tips for post-procedure:
- Quit smoking during the days after the procedure has been done as it might increase the risk of infection.
- Keep from massaging or rubbing your lips that can cause Botox to spread further.
- Try to sleep on the back for a few days so that your lips do not press against the pillow.
How much time will it take before seeing the results?
You can see the desired results within a few days and further improvement for several days after that. You will find the complete effect of the lip flip within 10 to 14 days after the procedure is done.
It is extremely important to note that lip flips are not permanent and the results will last for 2 to 3 months since very small amounts of Botox are injected into the lips. When looking for a permanent option, Botox lip fillers will last for a long time or around one year.
What are some side effects?
Lip flips are considered to be a safe and low-risk procedure as they use a small amount of Botox. Minor swelling or bruising might take place at the injection site.
If a larger dose of Botox gets injected, it can cause your lips to relax too much and make it hard to close them. It could even lead to:
- difficulty in making certain words
- inability to whistle or spit
- trouble in keeping fluids within the mouth after drinking
- drooping on one side of your mouth
Visit your doctor immediately in case you find any signs of botulism such as:
- trouble in swallowing
- unclear vision
- difficulty at the time of speaking
- difficulty in breathing
How much will a lip flip cost?
A lip flip is said to be an elective cosmetic procedure and so, you won’t be covered with insurance. It uses fewer units of Botox and is an affordable option than dermal fillers. A lip flip usually costs somewhere between $80 and $500.
How can you search for a qualified provider?
A lip flip is a non-surgical cosmetic procedure that should be done by a medical professional or a plastic surgeon. You may ask some questions at the initial consultation.
- Can this procedure help you to attain the desired look?
- How can you prepare for the procedure?
- What should you avoid after the procedure?
- How should you care for lips post-procedure?
Thus, being a non-surgical cosmetic procedure, a lip filler can help people to achieve fuller upper lips without a dermal filler. The procedure involves Botox injections into the upper lip for relaxing the muscles and “flipping” your lip upward. Make sure you search for a cosmetic surgeon who can perform the procedure successfully. During the initial consultation, ask for before and after pictures and discuss in detail what you really want to attain from the treatment.