how to treat tennis elbow at home
Symptoms of tennis elbow
Tenderness and pain in the elbow, weakness in the hand
What is Tennis Elbow?
Causes of tennis elbow
Tennis elbow is an occupational and recreational problem. Those who do a lot of hand-gripping can have this disorder. This would include golfers, carpenters, factory workers, housewives, and even politicians who shake hands a lot. The weakness occurs when gripping an object, and is not a true muscle weakness.
The tendons are involved.let's get to the symptoms and home remedies on How to treat tennis elbow fast with home remedies
Symptoms of Tennis Elbow
Home remedies for tennis elbow
- For 3-4 days, do not do the types of activities which cause the pain.
- Apply cold or hot to the affected area, according to which helps you best: Apply ice on the affected area for 30-90 minutes each day; the more the pain, the longer the application. Or apply heat, especially after the first few day.
- Careful exercise is also needed, to eliminate tennis elbow; rest is not enough. The tendons need to be strengthened. Purchase a hand gripper at a sporting goods store, and slowly increase your usage of it until you are using it 5-10 minutes, 4 times a day. When you use it, the elbow should be straight and the wrist bent. This will stretch the extensor tendons and help strengthen the fibrous tendons.
- Other exercises are also helpful. Place your forearm on a table, palm down, and grip a 3-pound dumbbell. Flex the wrist upward slightly; hold for 5 seconds, lower and rest for 3 seconds. When you can easily do this 15 times, increase the weight by 1 pound. Over a period of 4-6 weeks of doing this every day, you may be able to move up to 8-10 pounds lifted without pain. Medical Tribune (January 12, 1977) reported that 14 of 18 patients, on a four-week program with this exercise, obtained complete pain relief.
- Athletes sometimes place a band several inches wide around the forearm near the elbow and another just above the wrist. Be sure they are not too tight.
- Avoid cortisone injections, for these, can produce tendon atrophy or even dissolve it!
Also, Read Home Remedies for Tooth Ache