Women And Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia is a disease that causes enervating pain and tiredness The ailment is reported to affect nearly 5 million Americans aged above 18 years
Though there is no specific distinction and anyone can develop the sickness regardless of age or gender, yet majority is seen in women
As per the WomensHealth.gov, nearly 80% to 90% of the people who have Fibromyalgia are women. The disease causes unbearable pain and soreness in the whole body, and the "tender" points are more severely affected when pressure is applied to them
The pain-pressure sensitive tender points are in the following regions of the body
- Neck, shoulders, and back
- Upper and lower limbs and hips
- Reduced cognitive and memory function
- Sleep disorders
- Stiffening of muscles, particularly in the morning
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Pains in head
- Menstrual cramps
- Weakened sensation or tingling of hands and feet
- Sensitivity to temperature and exposure to light
- Sensitivity to loud noises
- Restless leg syndrome
Causes symptoms and Home Remedies for Fibromyalgia in women
The reasons behind the ailment fibromyalgia is still not clear. It can be associated with the lifestyles or side effects of some other diseases. The disease is more common in people suffering from arthritis, lupus, or a family history of the disease.The disease is also found in people who suffer from repetitive motion injuries, traumas, infection or illness due to other factors
The diagnosis of Fibromyalgia is tough because the symptoms are not very unique.
If the possibility of other potential diseases is not there, then fibromyalgia may be diagnosed if the patient exhibits the following conditions:
- Pain all over the body for more than 3 months
- A set of 18 prescribed tender points that initiate a pain in response to pressure applied to these joints.
Treatment Home Remedies
The treatment of fibromyalgia involves a multilayer approach. As a systemic disease, the series of symptoms it causes can be cured with a synergistic approach. Successful treatment can be achieved by consulting a doctor and getting medical and alternative therapy processes.
Fibromyalgia can be treated by several medications. Two known medicines to treat this problem are pregabalin and duloxetine, both are FDA approved. Pregabalin, also known as Lyrica, is an anticonvulsant and helps in treating fibromyalgia-related pain. The side effects of the medicine are dizziness, sleepiness, swelling, and weight gain.
Duloxetine, also known as Cymbalta, is an antidepressant. This also has side effects like nausea, insomnia, dizziness, etc. These drugs should be prescribed by a physician and taken under medical supervision.
Antidepressants are also given to relieve fibromyalgia pain, but these cannot treat the chronic pain completely.
Alternative therapies do result in good and relieve from fibromyalgia pain. A per the American Pain Society, the main goal of these therapies is to cure the chronic pain and improve the performance of daily activities for the patient.
Some of these alternative therapies are:
- Body Massage
- Myofascial release therapy
- Acupressure and Acupuncture
- Practising Yoga
- Moderate exercises
- Breathing therapy
- Cognitive therapy
You should know that changes in lifestyle also improves the condition and cures fibromyalgia.
- Exercise – It’s true that pain and tiredness make it difficult to exercise regularly, but it is a proven way to improve mobility and functional fitness levels in the patients.
- Nutrition - A healthy diet regulates the overall health and prevents the occurrence of diseases. Healthy food supports healthy energy too. There is no direct connection between fibromyalgia and any specific foods, but you can select a diet and monitor the effects.
- Sleep Hygiene – In Fibromyalgia, make sure to have enough sound sleep and this eases the pain and fatigue. Enough sound sleep means on average, an adult requires seven to eight hours of sleep.
- Work-Life Balance – People suffering from fibromyalgia may need to adapt or change their careers and work conditions because factors like the working hours, environment, and ergonomics may affect adversely.
Though fibromyalgia is very painful yet it is a manageable disease. Anyone who experiences four or more of the above symptoms for more than three months must seek medical attention. There are various ways of treatments. You may consult with your physician to understand the right course of treatment for you.
Also, Read Home Remedies for ovarian cysts