Ayurvedic home remedies for cold and cough
Influenza or most commonly known as “the flu” or “grippe” is caused by a virus that infects the upper respiratory tract There are two types of influenza, type A and B, Flu infects the throat, nose, lungs bronchial tubes, and middle ear
There are vaccines for the flu but since there are so many viruses that can cause the flu (about 200) however they are constantly mutating, making it very difficult to achieve success against these types of flu viruses Influenza is one of the most common health problems affecting thousands of men, women, and children, living across the United States. It can be described as a viral infection that attacks your respiratory system, which includes organs like your lungs,
While the seasonal flu can affect just about anybody, it is more commonly seen in children or seniors who are over the age of 65. Because this infection is highly contagious, it has been observed that health care providers and child care personnel are more prone to this condition. Your risks of contracting the flu can increase considerably if you have a weakened immune system due to any reason.
Some of the factors that compromise your immune system and weaken it include conditions like HIV/ AIDS, cancer treatment and the use of anti-rejection drugs or corticosteroids. In case you suffer from health conditions, which include asthma, diabetes, and heart diseases, your chances of flu could also increase significantly. It has also been observed that pregnant women are likely to develop influenza and the complications related to it, especially in the second and third trimesters.
In most instances, the flu is not a serious problem and can be cured within a few days or within a week. However, at times, it is possible for the flu to last for a longer period of time, including several weeks, or it may recur, mainly because of other health problems. In spite of the fact that the flu is so common, it can lead to some severe complications.
An estimate from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention in the US claims that every year, tens of thousands of people die because of complication arising from the flu. Young and healthy adults do not stand a very high risk of influenza-related complications. However, children with under-developed immune systems or senior citizens could develop ear infections, pneumonia, and bronchitis, because of the flu.
The symptoms of flu are similar to those of a common cold, such as body aches, cough, hot and cold sweat, fatigue, headaches, fever, nausea, vomiting, throat pain, lack of appetite. Colds last for a week, but the flu can last for up to 12 days, and after all symptoms have disappeared a persistent cough remains for another week. Influenza is one of the thousands of diseases that modern medicine has yet to find a cure for but herbs and natural remedies can relieve the symptoms.
Do not buy any over the counter drugs, to deal with this virus, most of the medications on the market today only suppress the symptoms and block the self-defense mechanism of the body making it more difficult to recover we have mentioned some Effective home remedies for flu.
Tips to Prevent Flu
- In order to prevent a flu infection, you need to maintain a healthy immune system. In addition, vaccinations do not provide protection against certain strains of influenza such as the avian flu or bird flu, so taking preventative measures can greatly support your health.
Follow these helpful hints to reduce your chance of becoming infected with the influenza virus this season:
- Wash your hands frequently, particularly underneath your fingernails
- Eat immune-enhancing foods that are chemical-free and organically grown
- A daily cup of natural organic yogurt can reduce
- Cover your mouth or nose with a tissue when you cough and sneeze
- Drink eight glasses of water daily to cleanse your body’s system
- Increase your supplement intake with Vitamin C and cod liver oil
- Strive to obtain consistent, adequate sleep and regular exercise help to ward off infections
- Reduce stress by practicing relaxation techniques, exercising, or listening to music
- Avoid sharing personal items such as cups with someone who has the flu
- Limit your alcohol consumption, as alcohol dehydrates the body and leaves you more prone to infection
- Avoid oily, spicy and sour food. Aerated drinks, junk food, etc should be completely avoided.
- Drink a cup of warm water, to which a few drops of honey or lemon have been added. This soothes the symptoms and at the same time loosens the phlegm, so that the body can get rid of it. This exercise should be repeated around 2 or 3 times a day.
- Prepare a decoction by boiling a tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in half a liter of warm water. Continue boiling the seeds, till the water reduces to one-third of its original quantity. Then, add a teaspoon of fresh ginger juice to this concoction, along with a few drops of honey, just to make it more palatable. Drink this mixture once a day.
- In a jar mix equal amounts of honey and onion juice. Consume around 3 to 4 teaspoons of this mixture once a day, till the flu lasts
- Mix a teaspoon or turmeric powder in a glass of warm milk and consume this remedy at least two or preferably three times a day. This helps strengthen the liver and alleviates the symptoms of flu.
- Ginger tea has an excellent effect on the body and helps alleviate the symptoms of the flu. Use 2 to 3 pieces of ginger to prepare this tea and consume it at regular intervals during the course of the day.
- Take Vitamin C to boost immune system and increase the number of white blood cells
- Take Zinc lozenges, it boosts the immune system as soon the symptoms develop.
- Colloidal silver kills viruses.
- Take Garlic capsules to decrease de-growth of the virus.
- Make a tea mixing:
- 1 tsp. bayberry bark.
- 1 cup of boiling water. Let it sit for 20 minutes.
- 1 tsp. grated ginger root. ½ tsp. cayenne powder.
- Take “cold and flu” tablets this homeopathic preparation has help people avoid getting infected with the flu virus by taking 1 tablet a day throughout the flu season.
- Take eupatorium perfoliate if you have pain in your bones and eyeballs.
- Take Gelsemium if feeling chills, aches, fever, not thirsty.
- Nux vomica is used when a simple cold has developed into influenza.
- If the fever is too high, take catnip tea and ½ tsp. of lobelia tincture every 4 hours. Do not use if pregnant or breastfeeding and do not give to a child less than one-year-old.
- Cat’s claw shortens the duration of the flu.
Author: Dr. Izharul Hasan
Also, Read Home Remedies To Prevent Dengue