CBD Oil For Migraines – Can CBD Or Cannabis Help?
God has provided us a great deal of coordination in the form of the nervous system, and Brain is the main stem of our nervous system, which is made up of millions of nerve cells, arranged in such a manner that coordinate our behaviours, thoughts, emotions, mood swings, movements, and sensations.
Interestingly, when all parts of our brain work together, each part performs its specific function, controlling everything from heart rate to our mood.
But sometimes, some specific changes occur in the brain. These changes cause the production of waves of activity by groups of excitable brain cells.
These cells trigger chemicals such as SEROTONIN (serotonin is a monoamine neurotransmitter, found primarily in GIT, blood platelets, and the central nervous system. Its function is its contribution to the feelings of well being and happiness.
Its chemical formula is C10H12N2O. Approximately 90% of serotonin is found in GIT). Serotonin narrows blood vessels. These narrowing blood vessels fluctuate blood flow to the brain. It induces a severe headache which is known as a MIGRAINE.
The real meaning of a migraine is a chronic throbbing headache that typically attacks one side of the head and is frequently conducted by nausea and disturbed vision.
Epidemiology of a Migraine in Europe, America, and Asia
Epidemiology of a Migraine in Europe
- More than 50% of adults are suffering from a general headache. But it is shocking to know 60% adults are suffering from a tension-type headache.
- Migraine sufferers are 15%.
- A chronic headache is about 4%.
- Possible medication overuse headache is 1_2%.
- A cluster headache (A neurological disorder characterized by a recurrent and severe headache on one side of the head, typically around the eye. There are often signs and symptoms of eye-watering, nasal congestion, or swelling around the eyes, on the affected side. These symptoms typically last for 15min to 3 hours. A cluster headache may be of two types… 1: episodic. 2: chronic) It has a lifetime prevalence of 0.2_0.3%.
- We also see a big difference in two genders. Women suffer from a migraine more than men because of ESTROGEN (It is a primary female sex hormone, which causes development and regulation of female reproductive system and secondary sex characteristics) production. It is because that migraines are often hormonal in nature, so intense fluctuations of hormones especially estrogen in women cause migraines.
- It is less prevalent in children and youth.
- Some studies indicate that the headache prevalence is increasing during the last decade in Europe. Might be due to methodological issues, lifetime prevalence is generally higher than 1-year prevalence but the exact time frame headache( 1 year, 6 or 3 months or no time frame stated) seems to be of less importance.
Epidemiology of a Migraine in America
In the US, more than 37 million people are suffering from migraines. Some migraines studies estimated that 13% of adults in US population have migraines and 2 to 3 million people suffer from a chronic migraine.
Interestingly like European people, in the US, women suffer from a headache more than men. 18% women suffer from a migraine as compared to 6% of men.
Epidemiology of a Migraine in Asia
According to epidemiological studies of a headache in Asia using International Headache Society (IHS) classification criteria, it is revealed that Asians have much lower migraine prevalence than westerners.
It ranges from 8.4% to 12.7%. The sex-specific migraine prevalence is 11.3% to 14.4% in women and 3.6% to 6.7% in men.
Signs and Symptoms of Migraines
It is a primary headache disorder characterized by recurrent headaches that are moderate to severe.
- A headache affects one half of the head
- Is pulsating in nature
- Lasts from 2 to 72 hours
- Sensitivity to light, sound, and smell
Up to one-third people has an aura which is typically a short period of visible disturbance that warns that a headache will soon occur.
What Is CBD Oil?
CBD or Cannabidiol is one of at least 113 active Cannabinoids identified in Cannabis which is also known as Marijuana (it is a psychoactive drug) from the cannabis plant.
Its chemical formula is C21H30O2. Medically CBD acts on neurotransmitters involved in addiction. It is also used to treat inflammation, Epilepsy, and Seizures.
Migraines and CBD Oil
According to a research published in 2017, oral cannabis has some positive effects on headache if taken with ibuprofen or nabilone for 8 weeks.
Basically, CBD works by interacting with cells in both the brain and nervous system. These molecules are active cannabinoid receptors (CB1 and CB2) They affect our immune system.
According to the national cancer institute NCI, cannabis has been used for nearly 3000 years in alternative medicine.
Some of these uses include the management of pain, neurological symptoms, and inflammation.
CBD administration can cause relief from a migraine due to its effect on nervous system and immune system. It reduces pain due to its anti-inflammatory action.
How to Take CBD Oil for Migraines?
Well, NCI also explains its administrative rules. It can be taken orally and topically also. But oral CBD is less likely to cause side effects, so beginners may want to start here. It is done by putting a few drops of the oil under your tongue or take CBD capsule.
Vaping CBD oil may be beneficial, If you are experiencing a severe migraine at home. The NCI explains that the inhalation process delivers the compound to your bloodstream much quicker than other methods.
Although much authentic research work has been done on CBD oil still more research is needed before CBD oil is considered as a conventional treatment option for a migraine. But its worth talking to your doctor if you are interested in taking CBD oil for migraine prevention.
He will advise you on the proper dosage as well as any legal requirements.
As a result, we can say with a big deal of evidence that CBD oil is a good alternative medicine for a migraine headache with a minimal deal of side effects. That’s why you can take it for migraine prevention and management, safely.