We have listed foods that lower blood sugar
Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disease in which a person has high blood sugar either because the body does not produce enough insulin or because cells do not respond to the insulin that is produced
Insulin is a hormone secreted by the pancreas that helps in absorption of sugar by the cells
The most common types of diabetes are
Type 1 diabetes:
In this type, the body fails to produce insulin and the patient needs to inject insulin into his body
Type 2 diabetes:
This type results from insulin resistance i.e. a condition where the cells fail to make use of the insulin appropriately
Causes of Diabetes
Type 1 diabetes is partly inherited and then triggered by certain infections. Type 2 diabetes is due to faulty and stressful lifestyle and genetic factors.
Polyphagia (increased hunger) Polyuria (increased urination) Polydipsia (increased thirst)
Note: The following home remedies are safe, but if you are under allopathic medication, please do not discontinue it without consulting your diabetologist
You may try the remedies along with your medication and gradually try to reduce the dosage as per medical advice.
Home Remedies for diabetes control
- Bitter gourd is a well-known remedy for diabetes.
- Try to eat this vegetable often.
Consuming a tablespoon of fresh bitter gourd juice regularly is effective in reducing sugar levels in blood and urine.
Chew ten leaves each of basil, ball, and neem early in the morning and drink water on empty stomach. This is an effective remedy. Practice this for a couple of months and regularly check your blood sugar level.
- Soak two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds overnight.
- Eat the seeds first after waking up and then drink the water in which they were soaked.
- Do not eat anything for the next hour.
- Practice this for three months to note improvement in sugar levels.
- Fenugreek seeds contain the alkaloid trigonelline, nicotinic acid and coumarin.
- This remedy helps in controlling triglyceride and cholesterol levels as well.
- Eating a medium sized raw white onion and three cloves of raw garlic daily helps the condition.
- Avoid eating white sugar, sweets, chocolates, soft drinks, alcohol, and bakery items. Reduce or avoid intake of rice.
- Eating Indian gooseberry daily or taking a tablespoon of its juice along with a tablespoon of bitter gourd juice helps reduce sugar levels in the blood.
- Another popular folk remedy is to eat few leaves of white Vinca Rosea plant (periwinkle/spadeful) daily along with some basil leaves.
- Collect the bark and aerial roots of the banyan tree, dry them, and store. Soak few pieces of the dried bark and aerial roots in water overnight. Next morning just squeeze the soaked pieces in the same water, strain, and drink.
- Jamun fruit is good for controlling diabetes. The seeds can be dried, powdered and stored (available in ayurvedic stores). Eat one teaspoon of this powder mixed with water, milk or curd. This can be taken daily to control diabetes.
- Collect tender mango leaves, dry (in the shade), powder and store. Half teaspoon of this powder consumed daily controls diabetes.
- Leading a relaxed and disciplined life is very important and daily exercise or walking for at least an hour is a must to control diabetes.
Also, Read Control Diabetes Before it's too late